Music Critic Deeta Mahbubani gives a guide to the best and worst moments of the 66th Grammy Awards

Final Year BSc Economics and Politics student, driven by a love for writing and literature.

The 66th Grammy Awards show was a spectacle to behold, showcasing the best and brightest stars in the music industry. As I sat glued to my screen, eagerly anticipating the magic that awaited, I could not have predicted the rollercoaster of emotions that would unfold. From triumphant comebacks to jaw-dropping performances, the evening was a testament to the enduring power of music. So, without further ado, let us dive into the unforgettable moments that defined the night.

Best Moments

Best Comeback: Tracy Chapman and Luke Combs’s ‘Fast Car’ Duet

As the lights dimmed and the first chords of ‘Fast Car’ filled the air, I felt a surge of nostalgia wash over me. Tracy Chapman, making an unforgettable return to the Grammy stage, was joined by the sensational Luke Combs for a duet that transcended time. Their voices blended in perfect harmony, bridging generations and introducing a timeless classic to a new audience. It was a moment of pure musical magic that left me spellbound.

Best Iconic Gesture: MC² – Mariah Carey Presents Miley Cyrus’s Award

When Miley Cyrus’s name was called for her first Grammy win, the excitement in the air was palpable. But what happened next was pure Hollywood magic. None other than Mariah Carey herself stepped onto the stage to present Miley with her award. It was a passing of the torch from one musical powerhouse to another, a moment that will go down in Grammy history as a true icon passing the baton to the next generation.

From triumphant comebacks to jaw-dropping performances, the evening was a testament to the enduring power of music

Best Aerial Performance: Dua Lipa’s ‘Houdini’ Spectacle

Dua Lipa is no stranger to delivering show-stopping performances, but her rendition of ‘Houdini’ took things to new heights — literally. Suspended in mid-air, she moved with grace and precision, captivating the audience with her breathtaking aerial acrobatics. It was a mesmerising display of sheer talent and a jaw-dropping way to kick off an electrifying night.

Best Tribute: Annie Lennox’s Soulful ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’

As Annie Lennox took to the stage to pay tribute to the late Sinéad O’Connor with ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’, the atmosphere shifted to one of solemn reverence. With a single glittering tear and a voice that resonated with raw emotion, she honoured a fellow legend in a truly unforgettable manner. It was a moment of poignant beauty that left not a dry eye in the house.

Best Debut Performance: Joni Mitchell’s ‘Both Sides Now’

At 80 years old, Joni Mitchell graced the Grammy stage for her long-awaited debut performance, and what a performance it was. Singing ‘Both Sides Now’ with a raw emotion that seemed to reach into the depths of our souls, she proved that true artistry knows no bounds of age. It was a masterclass in musical storytelling and a moment I will cherish forever.

Best Powerhouse Performance: Fantasia Barrino’s Electrifying ‘Proud Mary’

Fantasia Barrino took us all on a wild ride with her powerhouse performance of ‘Proud Mary’. Honouring the incomparable Tina Turner, she commanded the stage with electrifying vocals and an undeniable presence that left the audience in absolute awe. It was a performance that raised the roof and set the bar sky-high for the night ahead.

It was a masterclass in musical storytelling

Best Advocacy: Jay-Z’s Passionate Call for Recognition

In a moment of raw honesty and unbridled passion, Jay-Z took the stage to advocate for the rightful recognition of hip-hop in the industry. His impassioned speech called out the Recording Academy, demanding that they ‘get it right’ and highlighting the ongoing struggles of the genre. It was a rallying cry for change and a reminder of the power of music to inspire social change.

Best Surprise Appearance: Celine Dion’s Triumphant Return

Just when we thought the night could not get any better, Celine Dion made a surprise appearance that sent shockwaves of excitement through the audience. Her unannounced presence on stage was a delightful reminder of her enduring star power and left fans cheering for more. It was a moment of pure joy and a testament to the timeless appeal of one of music’s greatest legends.

Best Emotive Acceptance: SZA’s Raw and Authentic Speech

As SZA took the stage to accept her award for Best R&B Song, she bared her soul in a raw and authentic speech that touched us all. From her struggles to reach the stage to her heartfelt thank yous, she reminded us of the real, human moments that make award shows truly memorable. And then, as if her words weren’t enough, she took us on a journey with her theatrically stunning performance of ‘Kill Bill’. Complete with wire-fu sword fights and captivating visuals, it was a masterclass in stage presence and a true highlight of the evening.

Best Newcomer Triumph: Victoria Monét’s Hard-Earned Victory

Victoria Monét’s win for Best New Artist was a triumph years in the making. From her humble beginnings as a behind-the-scenes songwriter to her meteoric rise as a breakout star, her journey to the Grammy stage was a testament to her talent and perseverance. It was a moment of pure joy and a glimpse into the bright future of the music industry.

Worst Moments

Worst Disconnect: Travis Scott’s Lackluster ‘Fe!n’ Performance

Unfortunately, not every moment of the night was a soaring success. Travis Scott’s performance of ‘Fe!n’ left much to be desired, feeling hollow and out of touch with the spirit of the evening. Surrounded by chaos and flames, it failed to resonate with the audience, highlighting a stark disconnect that left many scratching their heads.

Surrounded by chaos and flames, it failed to resonate with the audience

Worst Anticlimax: U2’s Lacklustre ‘Atomic City’ Showcase

U2’s performance of ‘Atomic City’ felt like a missed opportunity to recapture past glories. The lacklustre presentation and dizzying camerawork left viewers underwhelmed, longing for the band’s iconic performances of yesteryears. It was a moment that fell flat and failed to leave a lasting impression.

Worst Lengthy Intros: Unnecessary Pre-Taped Video Segments

The lengthy and unnecessary pre-taped video segments disrupted the flow of the ceremony, eating up valuable airtime without adding significant value to the show. It was a choice that left many viewers feeling disconnected from the live performances, longing for more time spent on the magic happening on stage.

Worst Overused Hosting: Trevor Noah’s Predictable Banter

While Trevor Noah’s hosting was competent, it felt somewhat predictable and overused at times. His banter with empty chairs and rehearsed jokes lacked the spontaneity that makes for truly memorable award show moments. It was a missed opportunity to inject some fresh energy into the proceedings and left some viewers wanting more.

The lengthy and unnecessary pre-taped video segments disrupted the flow of the ceremony

Worst Production Choices: Bob Marley Movie Ad

The ad for the upcoming Bob Marley movie left many scratching their heads, with its unintentionally hilarious moments and questionable casting choices. It felt out of place amidst the evening’s celebrations of musical excellence, failing to resonate with viewers and raising more eyebrows than excitement.

The 66th Grammy Awards delivered a whirlwind of emotions, from triumphant highs to disappointing lows. Yet through it all, one thing remained clear: music has the power to unite, inspire, and move us in ways we never thought possible. As we look back on the night’s best and worst moments, let us raise a toast to the artists who continue to push boundaries, make history, and remind us of the sheer magic that happens when music takes centre stage. Here is to the unforgettable moments and the promise of more to come in the world of music. Cheers to the 66th Grammy Awards, a night we will not soon forget.

Enjoyed this? You might also enjoy:

Live Review: Super Bowl 2024 Halftime Show

Brit Awards 2024 Round Up

Album Review: Taylor Swift – Midnights