Life&Style’s Natasha Farwell outlines her favourite hygiene products that are kind to both skin and the environment

Written by Natasha Farwell

Personal care is an essential part of many daily routines and is a brilliant way to express individuality whilst giving our body the care and attention it deserves. As individuals, we are accountable for the consequences that the beauty industry causes. The impact of animal testing, and excessive plastic packaging is a dire problem that we must tackle to promote a healthier, greener community. Simple switches one can make to their personal hygiene routine is a great way to combat this problem, and sustainable product ensures alternatives that are eco-friendly!

The impact of animal testing, and excessive plastic packaging is a dire problem that we must tackle

Reusable makeup pads

Reusable makeup pads have huge ramifications with disposal makeup wipes accounting for 93% of sewer blockages. Therefore, this simple switch to reusable makeup pads will be a revolutionary change not only for your skin but for the environment as well. The easiest site to order from is Amazon, yet their unethical treatment of workers and unnecessary packaging defeats the sustainability purpose. I would recommend Face Halo for their super soft material which will prevent an abrasive, harsh experience.

Natural deodorant

Roll on Deodorants are universally beneficial for your hygiene routine due to the organic nature which results in knowledge of what you are putting on your body as well as zero waste packaging – which is great for recycling. Natural deodorants do not plug sweat glands like traditional ones, allowing your underarms to rebalance and detox. Furthermore, the controversial ingredient of aluminium in traditional deodorants is artificially harmful for the body. The business Wild offers aluminium free compostable plastic free refills, with an amazing formula such as mint and eucalyptus and naturally absorbent ingredients. Holland and Barret sell a variety of different types of natural deodorants, examples such as aloe vera and tea tree oil are good for antiseptic and soothing properties. Oxfam in Harborne have a range of roll on deodorants where the money goes to charity!

Menstrual cups

Menstrual cups are safe and effective for tackling heavy periods whilst being sustainable. They are low cost and prevent landfill waste as well as inhibiting deforestation by switching from paper-based tampons and pads. The concept of menstrual cups may be daunting to a new user but with practice, they are the way forward for feminine care. They are cheap, latex-free, hypoallergenic and improve period pains connected to conditions such as endometriosis. Overall, menstrual cups are a fantastic switch for your health and the ecosystem!

Bamboo toothbrushes

The concept of bamboo toothbrushes is simple in the sense that the plastic from traditional toothbrushes is exchanged for bamboo. They are much better for the environment because the handle and packaging are biodegradable and compostable providing a lower carbon footprint. Colgate have promoted the usage of bamboo, and hopefully many other prominent toothbrush companies will follow in their footsteps.

Read More Like This:

Spotlight On: Neutrogena’s For People With Skin Campaign

A Comprehensive Guide to Skincare

#EndoTheStigma: The Importance of Endometriosis Awareness