Mass coronavirus testing of English university students is being proposed by the government to facilitate their safe return home this Christmas, a letter from Universities Minister Michelle Donelan to vice chancellors has revealed.

Written by Joseph Meakin
News Editor 2020-21
Images by Mufid Majnun

The letter, obtained by BBC News, sets out the period from 30th November to 6th December for the programme, which is to be undertaken using ‘lateral flow tests.’ 

These self-administered kits, that are currently being trialled at De Montfort and Durham universities, do not need to be sent to a laboratory, meaning a rapid turnaround of results – possibly ‘within an hour’ of testing.

With face-to-face teaching expected to be moved online before the usual end to the university term, this proposal would allow for a week-long ‘window’ at the beginning of December in which an anticipated 1.2 million students could vacate their accommodation and travel home for the holidays.

this proposal would allow for a week-long ‘window’ at the beginning of December in which an anticipated 1.2 million students could vacate their accommodation and travel home for the holidays

Students who test positive would however have to isolate if, after another test, they are proven to be infectious. 

In terms of the safest way for students to travel home, a range of options are believed to be being explored. One idea is for universities in the same city to coordinate staggered leaving times. Another is for coaches to be chartered and private transport encouraged so that the use of public transport can be avoided. ‘Travel corridors,’ too, could be imposed to ‘control traffic away from universities.’

It is not yet clear what the arrangements will be with regards to the return of students to university in January 2021.

It is not yet clear what the arrangements will be with regards to the return of students to university in January 2021

In response to this story, the University of Birmingham released the following statement on social media: 

‘We understand students will be keen to know about our plans following the Government announcement about testing. We are currently looking very closely at the initial guidance to support students returning home for Christmas – we are expecting further guidance in the coming days.

‘Once we have reviewed all of the information we will be able to finalise any plans. We will then communicate this to all our students and staff.’

Like this article? Here are some more stories from News:

Durham University Faces Allegations over Prejudice Towards Northern Students

UoB Academic Given Portion of £50,000 Research Grant for COVID-19 Study

UoB to Continue In-Person Teaching During Lockdown Despite Rising COVID-19 Infections