News Reporter Rosalie Wessel reports on the increasing challenges faced by UK medical schools following the rising acceptance rate

Written by Rosalie Wessel
Images by Luis Melendez

Latest UCAS data shows that over 10,000 people were accepted into medical courses at U.K. universities last year. This number has risen by one third since 2017, when there was a cap of 7,500 students allowed into medical school – a cap which was lifted this year. This is during the coronavirus pandemic, when a historic amount of pressure has been put on hospitals and healthcare professionals worldwide. Additional funding was promised to medical students in 2019, with Boris Johnson saying that all nursing students from September 2020 would be eligible for a 5,000 pound grant. 

There is a worry as well that medical schools will not be able to cope with the added amounts of students. The original A-Level results caused an outcry, with an estimation of around 40% of students marked down. Many students lost university places, so, when the improved grades were released, there was a sudden surge in students once again applicable for medical school. 

Medical schools have been quick to implement their online learning courses as efficiently as possible

Another added obstacle is the impact of COVID-19 on the learning of students. UK medical schools have had to move their teaching online, resulting in students no longer visiting hospitals as a part of their education. For students completing a Bachelor of Medicine or a Bachelor of Surgery, their lab and clinical based projects are no longer available, making it harder for them to receive a rounded education. There has also been a quicker transition, with students going from student to doctor in order to aid the NHS. It has therefore been a more difficult initiation for many would-be doctors, as they’ve had to deal with an unprecedented amount of stress deriving from fear of contracting coronavirus, as well as a growing death toll. 

Medical schools have been quick to implement their online learning courses as efficiently as possible. Imperial College, in London, was one of the first to go completely virtual. There has been a concerted effort to allow students the same amount of interaction as there would be in class, with lectures, tutorials and exams all delivered live. Nevertheless, there are challenges included in creating a well rounded medical curriculum online. Part of a medical education is the practical experience a student receives, and learning online cannot fully replace that learning. 

Many medical students have already started working in order to help the NHS. The University of Bristol reported that 282 students nearing the completion of their degree were assisting doctors on the frontline. BBC News spoke to University of Bristol medical student, Jack McAlinden. McAlinden had a positive outlook on his experience, saying that his ‘personal development has been far more than I could have expected.’ Second year student Abbi Bow reveals the same effect, ‘I have been able to understand all the challenges I am going to face and be extra prepared when I get there.’ 

With the surge in medical students and switch to online learning, universities have found it difficult to keep up with the turmoil that has uprooted their curriculums. However, while many students may find their traditional learning limited by the pandemic, others have been working on the frontlines, helping with a pandemic that has enveloped the NHS.

Like this article? Here are more from News: 

Guild Elections 2021: President

University Teaching in Wales to Remain Online Until After Easter

Guild of Students to Lobby University to Declare a Climate Emergency this ‘Go Green Week’