Culture Writer Charis Gambon reviews Guys and Dolls and finds the show to represent the bygone era flawlessly

Written by charisGambon

As someone who thoroughly likes vintage, I enjoyed watching Guys and Dolls at The Alexandra Theatre. I was incredibly impressed by the attention to detail of the set designs created by Joanna Jevons (Head of Properties and Scenic projects), especially the use of logos used on the background for New York. As an audience member, you felt as if you were in New York in the bygone era. Getting the set right is an incredibly important aspect because it has the ability to make or break a play. Fortunately, the right choices were certainly made for Guys and Dolls. 

Comedy, drama, singing and dancing is well utilized within the performance

Guys and Dolls is entertaining, funny and easy to follow.  Comedy, drama, singing and dancing is well utilized within the performance which provides a great experience.  Each character is unique within the story.  The story and acting within the performance was superb and there was always something happening on stage. The actors ‘Annabel Pilcher’, ‘James Gordanifar’, ‘Jo Smith’ and ‘Pat Pryce’ were all superbly casted for their respective roles. 

The story and acting within the performance was superb and there was always something happening on stage

Within Guys and Dolls the audience experiences two opposing sides of America. On one side, New York is highlighted as a place of drinking and high-gambling lifestyle, whilst on the other side there is the religious lifestyle led by members within ‘missions’.

The central focus of Guys and Dolls are two very different love stories between Sarah Brown and Sky Masterton, and Miss Adelaide and Nathan Detroit. The relationship between Miss Adelaide and Nathan Detroit is rather comedic whereas the relationship between Sarah Brown and Sky Masterton highlights that you do not always get what you thought you wanted in terms of love. 

The high standard of singing is true of all of the actors within Guys and Dolls. However, I would like to focus on Annabel Pilcher specifically – I found her singing to be very powerful and well-suited to her character. 

I would strongly recommend going to watch Guys and Dolls to anyone who is interested. It is a great way to spend a few hours within a bygone era and watch a story told by an incredible cast.

Enjoyed this? Read more on Redbrick Culture!

Theatre Review: May Queen

Theatre Review: The Bobby Kennedy Experience

Theatre Review: The Play That Goes Wrong