Digital Editor Cara-Louise Scott reminisces on the nostalgia surrounding the discontinued Abbey Crunch biscuits, and shares her family recipe

I am a third year English and creative writing student who loves reading, writing and travelling! I am the current Digital Editor and a former Food&Drink editor <3
Images by Jennifer Pallian , Cara-Louise Scott

Abbey Crunch was a biscuit brand by McVitie’s that are no longer available to buy and instead morphed into what we know today as Hobnobs. The recipe below was my Nan’s, who, as my mum tells me, started making these because McVitie’s stopped making the Abbey Crunch biscuits that my Grandad and mum loved. My Nan created this recipe herself and then it got passed onto my mum, still in its original form on a recipe card. When my beautiful Nan passed away three years ago, my mum started making these delicious biscuits more regularly, especially over the lockdown to hand out to people, and I have now come to love these tasty treats too.

These biscuits are unlike any other; they are soft, buttery and melt-in your mouth

These biscuits are unlike any other; they are soft, buttery and melt-in your mouth, and if cooked just right, they have a soft crunch to them that makes them even more delightful. These biscuits are moreish, however, and unless you pass them onto others, you’ll probably end up wanting to devour them all in one sitting!

My mum makes these biscuits bigger than my Nan did and adds extra oats in; even when recipes are passed down in the family, family members will add their own uniqueness to them but I think they still have the same warm oat-y taste and the base of a good beloved family recipe.

Makes 24

Ingredients

• 112g Rolled Oats
  • 140g Butter
  • 140g Caster Sugar
  • 140g Self Raising Flour
  • 15ml Milk
  • 10ml Golden Syrup
  • 1tsp Baking Soda

Method

1. Cream the butter and sugar together.
  2. Mix in the milk, baking soda and syrup.
  3. Stir in the flour and oats, making sure you mix well.
  4. Roll the mixture into around 24 small balls. Place these onto a greased baking tray.
  5. Bake for 25 mins on ‘Fan 130’ setting, until golden brown.

Enjoy!

Hungry for more? Check out these recipes below!

Recipe: Four ways to use crumble!

Recipe: Chickpea, Avocado, and Sweet Chilli Salad

Recipe: Halal Chicken Noodles