Food&Drink editor Ashley Kabue gives four different takes on the classic British crumble recipe

Written by Ashley Kabue
Editor of Food&Drink. First year English Literature student, with a love of reading and baking.
Images by Ashley Kabue

There’s nothing as soothing as a bowl of apple crumble and custard on a cold, rainy day. Baking it the same way every time can get a little boring though – as Christmas approaches, why not try a new variety of crumble to warm up the cool winter nights?

Crumble topping recipe:

This generic crumble recipe can be used for all four of the recipes below. Make sure that your hands and ingredients remain cold – warm hands will make the butter stick to your fingers, creating unnecessary mess.

Ingredients:

• 100g cold butter
  • 110g sugar
  • 160g flour
  • Handful rolled oats (optional)
  • Cinnamon (optional)

Method:

1. Rinse hands in cool water before starting to ensure they remain cold.

2. Mix all flour and sugar in medium bowl until combined.

3. Add the cold butter to the flour and sugar in small cubes, rubbing the butter in with your fingertips using pinching motions.

4. Continue to rub in the butter, until it is completely combined. After a few minutes, it should have the consistency of breadcrumbs

5. Add a sprinkle of sugar to create a delicious brown crust, some cinnamon to add warmth and flavour, or some rolled oats to top off the pudding with a delicious crunch!

6. Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the dessert of your choice and bake according to recipe instructions.

Apple Crumble

A classic British crumble – this recipe never fails.

Serves 8

See above for crumble recipe and method.

Ingredients for filling:

• 6 medium apples (any variety)
  • 5 tbsp sugar (brown or caster)
  • Cinnamon (optional)

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 180C / gas mark 5.

2. Wash, peel, core and chop the apples into small chunks approximately an inch in width.

3. In a small pot, bring the apples to boil. Just as they begin to bubble, turn the heat low and cook until soft. Add sugar and cinnamon to taste.

4. Place the apple mixture into the bottom of a 9×9 inch baking dish, then sprinkle crumble mixture on top.

5. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the crumble forms a golden-brown crust. Let cool, and serve with custard or ice cream.

Pear and Blackberry Crumble

A sharper alternative to the sugary-sweet apple crumble, this pear and blackberry crumble is sure to delight. The lemon juice and zest work well with the tartness of the blackberries, and when combined with the syrupy pears this dish is pure delight!

Serves 8

Ingredients for filling:

• 600g ripe pears
  • 350g fresh blackberries
  • One lemon
  • Cinnamon (optional)
  • 5 tbsp sugar (brown or caster)

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 180C / Gas Mark 5.

2. Wash and dry blackberries. Set aside.

3. Wash, peel, core and chop pears into small chunks approximately an inch in width.

4. In a small pot, bring the pears to boil. Just as they begin to bubble, turn the heat low and cook until soft. Add sugar and cinnamon to taste – the pears may require more sugar than expected, so continue adding until satisfactory.

5. Zest one washed, unwaxed lemon.

6. Combine the lemon zest, the juice of half a lemon, and blackberries in a medium bowl. Mix well.

7. Finally, add the cooked pear mixture to the bowl and mix.

8. Add the completed filling into a 9×9 inch baking dish. Sprinkle crumble mixture on top – ensure the layer is thick, so that the blackberry mixture does not ooze through.

9. Cook for 30-35 minutes, or until the top of the crumble forms a golden-brown crust.

Note – use fresh blackberries rather than frozen. I found that the frozen blackberries released too much water, which bubbled out of the container and landed on the bottom of the oven. They also don’t taste as good! If you can’t find blackberries, you can use raspberries as they are still tart and sweet – just use the same quantities and bake away.

Blueberry muffins with a crumble topping:

I use the BBC GoodFoods recipe for my blueberry muffins, and they taste fantastic as they are. However, to add a little kick, create a crumble mixture and sprinkle it on top of the muffins for a delicious crunch!

Crumble as a topping on other desserts:

Have some crumble left-over from another recipe? Lay it on a small baking tray around a centimetre thick, and bake it for around ten minutes at 150C. Keep an eye on it, as such a small layer can burn quickly. Remove from the oven when it is golden brown, and sprinkle on top of ice cream, Greek yoghurt, granola … anything you fancy!

Hungry for more? Check out these other recipes from Food & Drink:

Recipe: Chickpea, Avocado, and Sweet Chilli Salad

Recipe: Halal Chicken Noodles

Recipe: Honey Chilli Chicken