Food&Drink writer Dinda Harmanto shares her experience dining at Birmingham’s new burger restaurant, Fat Hippo

Written by Dinda Harmanto
Images by Dan Gold , Dinda Harmanto

Fat Hippo is a relatively new burger joint located on Bennett’s Hill, and as a franchise with many locations around England, I had relatively high expectations. 

Usually it is recommended that you book in advance, but since it was only a Tuesday we were able to walk in and were quickly sat down at a table for two. The venue is small, which on a busy night may feel crowded, but when we visited, this was not the case. Despite their trendy, fancy dangling lights that higher end restaurants all seem to have nowadays, the restaurant has a casual atmosphere. There is also the option of window seating which is ideal for solo diners.

Fat Hippo is all about the classic ‘dirty food’

Since we were visiting within the first few weeks of the restaurant opening, it was clear that some of the staff were still a little unfamiliar with the technology. However the servers were all very friendly. 

As the name suggests, Fat Hippo is all about the classic ‘dirty food’ which promises to increase your cardiac risk ten-fold. We started with beer battered cheese balls, generously drizzled with ranch and buffalo sauce – a classic sauce combination. The cheese balls were fantastic, with a crisp outside and oozing of stringy, melted mozzarella from the inside. 

@Dinda Harmanto

For my burger, I ordered the ‘Great White Buffalo’, promising not one, but two tender, double fried chicken thighs in a crisp buttermilk batter, layered on top of purple slaw and bacon – and they certainly delivered. 

As a blue cheese fanatic, I asked for blue cheese to be added, and a generous slice was given. Additions are not always accommodated easily in restaurants, so this was a pleasant surprise. I had no complaints other than it may have been too big, as I did struggle to fit my mouth around the burger – but that’s hardly a critique, if a place names itself ‘Fat Hippo’ I’d expect the burgers to be nothing less than colossal. 

… a great casual lunch spot for big (and there is an emphasis on big) burgers.

Important to mention is that all burgers come with a serving of hand cut fries, which makes the price tag seem slightly more justifiable, although be aware that Fat Hippo does run slightly more on the expensive side. Mayonnaise and ketchup are also free and available on request in bottles. However, despite them not being clearly advertised, I encourage you to order one of their 18 unique sauces on offer.

Overall, Fat Hippo is a great casual lunch spot for big (and there is an emphasis on big) burgers. Come hungry and ready to choose from their extensive menu. Although I only tried the chicken burger, they also serve beef and a range of vegan options too. Next time I visit, I would be keen to return to try one of their beef burgers, and maybe a dessert if I have room!

@Dinda Harmanto

Looking for more restaurants to try in and around Birmingham? Take a look at our other reviews: 

Review: Hey Brew Espresso 

Freshers Foodie Guide to Brum

Review: Hockley Social Club