Food&Drink writer Caitlin McGraw shares her experiences at the Hockley Social Club in Birmingham’s Jewellery quarter commenting on its wide variety of street vendors that leave their customers spoilt for choice

Written by Caitlin McGraw
2nd year politics and sociology student. lover of all things popular culture <3
Images by Caitlin McGraw

Are you tired of struggling to plan a meal with a group of friends or loved ones because everyone fancies a different cuisine, and you can’t compromise on where to eat? Hockley Social Club, in Birmingham’s Jewellery Quarter, is the ideal location for an alternative night out with an array of vendors serving street food under one roof, guaranteed to satisfy all tastes and preferences.

Walking down a deserted side street through an unassuming industrial park, the last place you imagine stumbling across is this hidden gem.

Walking down a deserted side street through an unassuming industrial park, the last place you imagine stumbling across is this hidden gem. The red brick of the former printing factory which houses Hockley Social Club blends in with the industrial vibe of the area and sets the tone for this venue, which also hosts a weekend lifestyle market, record store and coffee shop. Open exclusively Thursday-Sunday, Hockley Social Club hosts monthly comedy nights and a ‘diverse and exciting night of live music’ every Friday. 

It was originally set up as a click-and-collect food service during the COVID-19 lockdown by the founders of Digbeth Dining Club, and has grown into a successful, award-winning restaurant celebrating Birmingham’s industrial heritage and independent restaurant scene. 

Like the name suggests, this place is certainly social. The interior is laid out in a casual, open-plan style, with large group tables, smaller booths and bar stools, as well as outdoor space where we opted to sit under the expansive canopy and twinkling fairy lights on industrial benches. High tempo music is pumped throughout the building, creating a lively atmosphere to match the neon lighting, food stalls and cool location. Visiting on a weekend, I discovered this venue is a great alternative night out to the clubs and bars of Selly Oak and the City Centre, with a young clientele, well-stocked bar and upbeat playlist. 

The staff and vendors were all friendly and welcoming, and provided speedy service when dishing up our meals. 

Every week, a new rotation of permanent and visiting vendors run pop up stalls with limited menus offering street food from Thailand to Texas. When I visited on a Saturday night in October with my family who range from meat-lovers to vegetarians, we were all satisfied with the variety of cuisines and highly Instagrammable dishes on offer. On this occasion, vendors included Yardbirds, Buddha Belly, Vegan Kitchen, Flying Cow, Beki’s Brownies, Woodfired Pizza and Phata Phat. 

I liked that you order your meal at the stall of your choice which promotes a more interactive and personal experience compared to similar street food locations where you place orders via an app. The staff and vendors were all friendly and welcoming, and provided speedy service when dishing up our meals. 

I ordered a ‘Halloumi BBQ’ burger from Yardbirds, which was accompanied by a large portion of skinny, salty fries, and was topped with lettuce, barbecue sauce, all served on a brioche bun. The flavours combined deliciously especially the smoky sauce and versatile cheese; it was a great vegetarian dish from an unconventional location which specialises in American fried chicken. We also ordered a ‘Dirty Clucker’ burger, from Yardbirds, which consisted of a fried chicken fillet, cheese sauce, bacon, lettuce, mayo and pickle. It was thoroughly enjoyed by my brother who is a burger enthusiast and was spoilt for choice at this location.

@Caitlin McGraw

To sample other stalls, my mum ordered from Buddha Belly which serves Thai food; she chose the ‘Spicy Chicken Pangang’ curry with coconut milk, chili, lime, pickle and jasmine rice. The fresh colours of the dish were stunning, and the flavour had a spicy kick but tasted authentic and appetising. 

@Caitlin McGraw

With room for dessert, we opted for brownies from Beki’s; the Rocky Road was served with vanilla ice cream and topped with marshmallows and chocolate sauce, providing a sweet end to the meal. One limitation of the dessert was the lack of choice as only one stall served sweet treats, and for £7 it felt slightly overpriced for the small portion. Nevertheless, it tasted delicious and on my next visit hopefully there will be a different dessert stall to try. 

The large bar has talented mixologists and a diverse selection of spirits, wines and beers, as well as offering specialist cocktails. I opted for a fruity Hockley Storm (vodka with cranberry and passion fruit) which came in a cute mason jar; the Peach Dream (vodka, peach and pineapple) had a tropical tinge and we also bought soft drinks from the non-alcoholic menu.

@Caitlin McGraw

The food is certainly on the pricier side, with all our main courses priced at £12 each, yet I noted that the stalls on offer ranged price-wise and there were cheaper options. Cocktails were £9, with the drink’s menu ranging from £2.50-£10. However, for the experience of supporting local businesses it was worth it, as well as the impressive portions, quality flavours and unique dining location.  

… this venue is a great alternative night out to the clubs and bars of Selly Oak and the City Centre

I highly recommend Hockley Social Club, especially with a group, as we were able to sit at a large table and sample a range of diverse cuisines, with something to appeal to everyone’s tastebuds. The meal topped off exploring a new part of Birmingham in the Jewellery Quarter, and this cool, industrial location has such a fun and social energy.

I will certainly be back and I’m excited to try a whole range of new restaurant- who knows which stalls will be on site next time! The choices are endless, but one is clear – take a trip to Hockley Social Club and explore the Jewellery Quarter’s unique architecture, modern art and, of course, the jewellery shops.

Hungry for more? Check out these other restaurant reviews:

Restaurant Review: Wildwood 

Restaurant Review: Jungle Bird 

Review: Heidi’s Bier Bar