Social Secretary Ella Kipling reviews Birmingham’s new ‘après-ski’ theme bier bar on its opening night, claiming it to have a lively atmosphere and a range of fun activities to do alongside drinking cocktails

Heidi’s is a new bar located on Broad Street, nestled between Pitstop, and Food Republic. The bier bar takes its ‘après-ski’ theme seriously, with the interior featuring wooden tables (on which you are encouraged to dance) and the bar staff dressed in Lederhosen and Tyrolean dresses.

The ground floor of the bar is packed with tables and a square dance floor, so patrons can get their boogie on to the sounds of the live musicians, who put on an excellent show. Their energy, matching outfits, and song choices added something more than just a DJ would, and livened up the atmosphere. 

The bar staff are a fabulous asset to Heidi’s and went above and beyond on the night

As I’m not a beer fan, I stuck to the cocktail menu, but appreciated how cool the oversized beer glasses looked, filled with double pints. The Sex On The Beach cocktail was fruity and packed a punch, while the Pornstar Martini was the highlight of my night. The taste was the perfect blend between sour and sweet, with the passion fruit flavour, the staple of the drink, coming through perfectly. Staying on brand with the après-ski theme, Heidi’s also served colourful shots on skis, with sparklers coming out of one end. The bar staff are a fabulous asset to Heidi’s and went above and beyond on the night, even going as far as to relight the ski shots when one member of our group missed the display. 

The upstairs of the bar provides something different, and the range of activities mean that there is something for bar goers who need a break from dancing. The beer pong tables, which come with free cups from the bar, can be played with any drink of your choice, and you can also play pool in the same room. Also upstairs is, arguably the best part of Heidi’s, the karaoke stage. Anyone can perform, simply choose your song and wait your turn before taking to the stage and serenading the fellow patrons to wild applause. My duet of Breaking Free with fellow Redbrick writer Seth Nobes probably made the ears of the audience bleed, though the ski shots are definitely to blame for that performance.

Check out more Food and Drink reviews here:

Restaurant Review: Perios

Restaurant Review: Manahatta 

Review: The Pineapple Club Press Event