Fenne Lily explores her inner self in her single Hypochondriac, Hannah Massey writes

Written by Hannah Massey
English Literature student and contributor for Redbrick
Images by Awchivers

Following her self-released album On Hold, 23-year-old Fenne Lily recently signed to Dead Oceans record label, and with this announcement released her new song ‘Hypochondriac’. This song differs from her earlier released album, being notably more upbeat and perhaps less melancholic. It’s more polished in its production and there is a confidence in it that is striking, this seemingly being absent from On Hold. Her debut album felt like the whispered confessions of a friend, whereas in ‘Hypochondriac’ she explores her inner self with greater assurance – everything is deliberate and thought through. Whilst the hushed quality of her first album was perhaps the source of some of its charm, Lily’s increased confidence only affirms her promise. With this song she positively claims her position in the indie music landscape. 

With this song she positively claims her position in the indie music landscape

In a press release about the song Lily wrote ‘it’s the first in a collection of tracks addressing myself as both the cause of and solution to my anxieties, as well as a shift in attention from predominantly relationship-based writing to a more self-reflective dialogue.’ A song about overthinking, Lily accuses herself ‘these complications I have with my health / only go as far as I take them’, a sentiment acutely felt by those anxiety-ridden. She sings the refrain ‘so leave it out / we’re all sick of waiting for a moment to stop and sleep it off’, expressing the exhaustion felt after a bout of overthinking. The funky guitar riff underpins the song’s reflection and this combined with the drums provides the song with a backing that keeps it somewhat upbeat and light-hearted. As it progresses towards the close, Lily layers discordant harmonies which create a sense of unease, and musically captures the anxiety the song describes flawlessly.

‘Hypochondriac’ is available now via Dead Oceans