Sci & Tech Editor Daniella Southin explores the threats faced by the endangered Cross River Gorilla

Written by DaniellaSouthin

As insect populations plunge and an increase of single-use PPE sends tidal waves of plastic pollution across the world, there seems little to celebrate in the darkening tunnel of environmentalism. Africa’s most endangered great ape, the Cross River Gorilla, however, has lit a path through that tunnel as photographs of their young have recently been released. With just 200 – 300, Cross River Gorillas now left in the wild, a sign their population could be on the rise, is welcome with open arms.

As with most environmental stories, it’s not all sunshine and rainbows. Cross River Gorillas face hardship after hardship as human interference forever threatens their being. Poaching, although illegal in the gorillas’ homes of Cameroon and Nigeria, still poses a threat to all gorilla species. Local guards and daily patrols have allowed some gorillas, such as those photographed to thrive, however, Mongabay News reported that as recently as 2015, ‘anti-poaching and anti-trafficking squads arrested 22 dealers and seized 16 great ape limbs, 24 gorilla heads, and 34 chimpanzee skulls in separate operations’ over a four-month period.

Anti-poaching and anti-trafficking squads.. seized 16 great ape limbs, 24 gorilla heads, and 34 chimpanzee skulls

Not unlike the animals inhabiting the Amazon Rainforest, Cross River Gorillas also face the dangers of habitat loss. Forests in Nigeria and Cameroon are being destroyed by accidental forest fires and land clearing for farming crops and livestock. Despite calls from ‘more than 60… conservationists and researchers ’ for the project to be put on hold, July 22nd saw government approval for logging of the Ebo Forest, threatening the survival of gorillas, chimpanzees, and monkeys alike. Humans are interfering, and wildlife is suffering, so gorillas are suffering.

Without human interference, the Cross River Gorilla is one that could still face threats. The World Wildlife Foundation (WWF) suggests this endangered subspecies could also be affected by inbreeding. Cross River Gorillas typically reside in groups of between four and seven and although there have been cases of larger groups, this small clustering, alongside their lack of interaction with other groups, means loss of diverse genes.

The threats these gorillas face are endless whether it be from humans or nature, but efforts are being made to save the subspecies. The Cross River Gorilla Programme is working to ‘provide long term security to the populations of the Cross River Gorillas and Nigeria-Cameroon chimpanzees and their habitats’ through biomonitoring, capacity development, conservation education, and community development. Staggering success projects have been piling up since 2004 including the ‘newly-established Tofala Hill Wildlife Sanctuary’ and the ‘Creation of 4 Community Forests.’ They’re paving the way for a bright, thriving future for Cross River Gorillas.

The threats these gorillas face are endless whether it be from humans or nature

Although their future is clouded by a myriad of complications, Cross River Gorillas may cast another light through the tunnel carved by human hands. If their population grows as the photographs suggest, as programmes encourage, they may yet make it to the other side.

Like this article? Check out more from Sci & Tech below:

UAE Launch Historic Mars Probe.

Marine Wildlife is Suffering at Our Hands