Sport Writer Clara Morate discusses how the highly competitive world of elite gymnastics houses dangerous physical and mental health risks

Written by CMorate
Final year Classics undergrad at UoB. Currently obsessed with writing and dont think I can't stop any time soon. Hopefully I can reign it back for my dissertation. Part of gymnastics, Ballads and Windsurfing at UoB, not to forget the wonderful Green Party, BACAS and Writer's Bloc funnily enough. The profile photo, I know its weird I took it in Costa Rica and I have good memories attached to it, that's it really. Also cant be bothered to change it currently.

Content Warning: This article contains references to body dysmorphia, eating disorders, sexual abuse and psychological trauma in gymnastics.

To most, they would imagine the tumbling, flipping, hanging and launching yourself at speed to be the most fearful aspect of life as an elite gymnast. However, there is a much more sinister and intangible quality present in the gymnastics world. Under the sequins, spins, and somersaults of gymnastics lies an ugly, exploitative, and abusive culture of high expectations, particularly for high-level female gymnasts.

Psychological trauma cannot be remedied by a cast, sling or crutch

Recently, Simone Biles, the third-most decorated gymnast in the world, declared that she would not enter her daughter into gymnastics. Her statement may seem extreme at first glance, somewhat overly precautious and perhaps dramatic but for those within the gymnastics world, this will seem a perfectly rational reaction. Sports journalist Joan Ryan, after her research on gymnastics 25 years ago, called women’s gymnastics ‘legal child abuse.’ Psychological trauma cannot be remedied by a cast, sling or crutch and leaves its victims scarred, often for much of their lives.

After the shocking revelation in 2015 of the abuse by U.S. Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar, the gymnastics world has been under heavy surveillance. Nassar admitted to 10 counts of sexual abuse but was accused of sexually abusing 265 victims. Shockwaves were sent through both the sporting world and general public. Five years on, the abusive and dangerous culture which facilitated such horrific abuse to go unnoticed are slowly being examined again.

The thinness already equated with success, beauty, and admiration in general society is magnified within elite women’s gymnastics

Elite gymnastics is as much a sport about strength and flexibility as it is a performance. And as such its elite are held to astonishing standards. This extreme pressure manifests itself through subsequent body dysmorphia, eating disorders and the deteriorating mental health of these athletes. According to research by Jorunn Sundgot-Borgen and Monica Torstveit in 2010, aesthetic athletes such as gymnasts are more at risk of developing eating disorders, because elite gymnasts’ dieting is a staple to their lives, training and performance. In many performing sports, the athletes are judged subjectively, and the thinness already equated with success, beauty, and admiration in general society is magnified within elite women’s gymnastics. Thus, the pressure from both cultural and sporting attitudes to body weight and shape creates a volatile culture.

Social media platforms such as Instagram and Tik Tok are virtual spaces in which fitness and gymnastics have become increasingly consumed. The rise of social media has led to the popularity of fitness content rising, both inspiring and misleading viewers. What audiences tend to forget when they aim for elite skill is that much was sacrificed in order to attain such a level of talent. A backflip will inspire followers, but they will be unaware of the potential injuries obtained and psychological pain previously endured to reach that stage of performance. It is important to remember, as with all social media, that it is just a snapshot of a moment and unless such athlete or influencer is completely transparent, it will appear to have to come at no cost, which sets dangerous precedents for viewers.

As campaigns such as the body positivity movement continue to take off on social media, such influence can be felt in the gymnastics world. Gymnast superstars appear to be increasingly open with their own struggles regarding body dysmorphia and eating disorders. It is reassuring to see these stars, often young female athletes who have left elite gymnastics, acknowledging their suffering and beginning to work through their experiences. On the other hand, social media still provides a platform in which influencers can promote eating disorders and unhealthy lifestyle behaviours.

It is my hope that social media will allow many to reach a more open and transparent dialogue surrounding fitness, particularly within aesthetic sports such as gymnastics, dance and figure skating. Removing toxic aspirations and behaviours that damage psychological health from social media is also crucial. Much needs to be done in elite sports to support these athletes, many of whom are still children, both when performing and in normal life. We should remember to place individuals’ welfare as the priority and hold those in positions of power accountable.

Like this? Check out more from Redbrick Sport:

Virtual Varsity Race Lights Up UoBe Festival

Redbrick Sport’s 2021 Hopes and Expectations

Root Stars as England Take Series Lead in India