Film critic Aaliyah Ravjani runs us through her top 5 Autumn movies

The season is finally here: pumpkin spice everything, auburn crunchy leaves, and big knit jumpers. As the days are getting shorter and the long nights approach, it’s time to grab a cosy blanket, fluffy socks, a hot chocolate, and settle in front of the TV to watch a nostalgic movie. 

Here are some of my go to Autumn movies that are perfect for the season:

5. Twilight series (2008 – 2012)

Twilight is a classic chick flick series suitable for all vampire film lovers. For those of you who haven’t yet watched it, Twilight starts off as Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart), a textbook misfit, falls for the mysterious high school heartthrob Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). Bella finds out his big secret as she enters into a dangerous love story with her immortal boyfriend. This series guides you through this love story, along with many chilling trials and tribulations along the way.

4. Harry Potter series (2001 – 2011)

A young orphan, named Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliff), discovers his family’s enchanted past. He receives a letter that changes his life and throws him into a new world. He attends Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and begins a new life of thrilling adventures with his friends, Hermione and Ron (Emma Watson, Rupert Grint). This movie series is sure to entrap you with its mystical affairs.

3. Little Women (2019)

This is a heart-warming adaptation a story of four sisters (Saoirse Ronan, Florence Pugh, Emma Watson and Eliza Scanien) and their mother (Meryl Streep) on their path to womanhood. Set in the 1800’s during the American Civil War, the movie follows the sisters as they are determined to build their own lives, whilst encountering love and loss along the way.

2. When Harry Met Sally (1989)

In this quirky romantic comedy, two unlikely passing acquaintances (Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal) share a cab ride through New York, and along the way they share deep, meaningful conversation before parting ways. However, 12 years later their paths cross once again. They find themselves in different situations and catch up on these changes. The two continue to share a platonic friendship and battle the question, ‘can men and women be just friends?’.

1. Dead Poets Society (1989)

In this eye-opening movie, a group of young boys in a preparatory school are faced with a substitute English teacher (Robin Williams) who takes on a new form of teaching, encouraging the boys to break out of their comfort zone and go against the status quo. The boys battle with the pressures of their prestigious school and the high expectations of their parents, all whilst attempting to find their authentic selves.

For more Top 5 lists, check out these articles from Redbrick Film:

Top 5: Horror Films of the 2010s

Studio Ghibli: Film Favourites

Top 5: Adam Sandler Performances