Digital Editor Weronika Bialek guides us through her top four travel destinations for the colder months

Digital editor and final year French and Russian student.
Images by Weronika Bialek

Holidays abroad are usually associated with the long summer holidays, but there are some travel gems which are especially beautiful in the colder months, be it the end of autumn, or closer to Christmas time. Here is a list of four places to visit during the colder half of the year.

There are some travel gems which are especially beautiful in the colder months

Estonia — Tallinn

Estonia is a Baltic country in Northern Europe. Its capital city, Tallinn, is home to a beautiful Eastern Orthodox Cathedral, a Gothic Town Hall, and a quaint Old Town. If you enjoy going on hikes, consider visiting Tallinn in October to November-time, as the beautiful national parks and forests nearby the capital will be filled with golden trees and mushrooms. Alternatively, wait until the snow falls in December, and witness a white Old Town and a buzzing christmas market right in the centre of Tallinn. Temperatures can fall to -5 degrees but don’t worry, a hot glögi (mulled wine) will keep you warm.

Wait until the snow falls in December, and witness a white Old Town and a buzzing christmas market right in the centre of Tallinn

Finland — Helsinki 

Finland is also a Northern European country, and it’s only two hours away from Tallinn by ferry so it can be easily combined into a multi-country weekend away! Helsinki, its capital, is a seaport city in the south of the country. Similarly to Estonia, Helsinki’s autumn boasts beautiful golden trees. With the colder months, there are also more rainy days in Helsinki, but that just adds to its charm! You can take a 15-minute boat to Suomenlinna — a Finnish islet — through the misty waters of the Baltic sea and discover a mid-18th-century fortress. You can also hide from the rain in one of Finland’s beautiful cafés and snack on a korvapuusti — a Finnish cinnamon roll. If you’re feeling brave, you could even take a dip in the icy sea and then warm up in a sauna at Löyly. This Finnish tradition is supposedly good for your immunity so, ironically, remember to bring your swimming costume!

Similarly to Estonia, Helsinki’s autumn boasts beautiful golden trees

Czech Republic — Prague

Prague is home to many beautiful landmarks such as synagogues, a castle, museums, a 15th century astronomical clock, and many more. Traverse the cobblestoned Old Town with a chimney cake in-hand or spend hours browsing through Prague’s many museums, including the Museum of Communism, a Franz Kafka museum, and the Mucha museum! If you want to start planning a trip for the winter holiday, consider visiting Prague while its Christmas Markets are up. The markets are beautiful, and on most nights they will host attractions, such as concerts and speeches in the Old Town Square in preparation for Christmas. 

A journey through science, nature, ancient history

Scotland — Edinburgh

When most think of Edinburgh, they imagine foggy, cobblestoned streets glistening with fresh rain fall — luckily this image can easily become a reality as for most of autumn, and a good part of winter, Edinburgh is a Gothic, atmospherically-grey city. With the Edinburgh Castle looming over the streets, the Old Town feels like something straight out of Harry Potter. On rainy days, you can visit the National Museum of Scotland for free – its six floors of exhibitions will take you on a journey through science, nature, ancient history, and more. In the evenings, visit one of Scotland’s pubs or award winning restaurants (I personally recommend the Makars Gourmet Mash Bar) and try some haggis for dinner. 

Find more winter travel destinations from Redbrick Travel here:

Christmas Markets Around the World

Edinburgh: The Epitome of the Festive Spirit

Christmas Traditions in Chile