POLSIS in Colour have released an Open Letter addressed to the POLSIS department over concerns about the removal of the Race and Empire module, Aneesa Ahmed reports

Editor-in-Chief 2020-2021 // News and Elections Editor 2019-2020

POLSIS in Colour have released an Open Letter addressed to the POLSIS department over concerns about the removal of a module, which covers Race and Empire, and requesting a core module to be added to the curriculum where issues of Race and Empire are ‘sufficiently addressed.’

The letter was announced through their social media channels and can be found here

This is in response to the removal of the Race, Empire and Modern Political Thought module, currently available as an optional second year module to Political Science or International Studies students at the university. 

The letter is penned by POLSIS in Colour; Black & Ethnic Minorities’ Association; University of Birmingham Politics Society; Women in Politics; Birmingham University Labour Students; University of Birmingham Liberal Democrats; and Mikey Brown, Guild of Students President-Elect. 

It is signed by Abubakr Nanabawa, BAME Officer of UoB Labour Students, who initially had the idea to write an open letter to the department.

Redbrick spoke to both Nanabawa and Hemma Chopra, a committee member of POLSIS in Colour, about what motivated them to write the letter, spread the word and what they hope to achieve.

‘We saw that the module was being cancelled on Twitter, which we found really upsetting,’ Chopra told Redbrick. 

We saw that the module was being cancelled on Twitter, which we found really upsetting

‘POLSIS in Colour was set up by the department to centre the voices of ethnic minority students in the department. It was set up by Richard North to try and bridge the attainment gap between BAME and white students.’

Chopra continued to explain that the group began to work with the department to create a core, taught module for all undergraduate students; a module that would cover topics about Race and Empire. This module was never finalised. 

The students who were part of POLSIS in Colour were excited at the prospect of this module being introduced into the curriculum, and Chopra stated that although she would not personally benefit from the creation of such a module, it would be ‘good for future students.’

However, once the group were made aware of the removal of the ‘only existing module that covers topics of race and empire’ they were left ‘disappointed.’ 

‘At the minimum we hope to see the continuation of the Race Empire and Modern Political Thought module,’ she continued. 

‘We’re learning about a branch of politics which is inherently oppressive, would be good to learn about intersectionality within that.’

A ‘core’ issue for Chopra is a lack of diversity within the department, as currently ‘there are not enough staff, from diverse backgrounds, with adequate knowledge of the topic’ within the POLSIS department

Speaking to Redbrick, Nanabawa said that he felt as though that it is ‘vital’ for the university to do more to ensure a module that covers topics of race and empire are continued in the future. 

‘That is the main aim, that there is a compulsory module that covers these topics which would be available to all undergraduate students.’ 

When asked why they believe that advocating for the continuation of the existing optional module and the creation of a new module, Chopra and Nanabawa highlighted the existing bigotry amongst students that they have experienced during their campaign.

‘Soon after we launched this Open Letter, anonymous online trolls filled out the form using the names of famous racist figures such as Winston Churchill,’ Chopra explained.

She exemplified the significance of adding race and empire to the curriculum to ‘stop bigotry like this happening again.’ 

Speaking to Redbrick, a spokesperson for the University of Birmingham said: ‘It is not the case that the module Race and Empire has been cancelled.  It has run this academic year and will run next year in the same format.

It is not the case that the module Race and Empire has been cancelled.  It has run this academic year and will run next year in the same format

‘There are currently discussions underway about its precise format in the 2022-23 academic year but the School remains committed to offering a core year 2 module in this area, with a teaching team that allows it to be delivered in a resilient way in case of staff sickness or study leave.’

Like this article? Here are some similar stories from News:

Birmingham Rent Strike: £100,000 Pledged in Student-Led Campaign

Medical Schools Face Increasing Challenges

University Teaching in Wales to Remain Online Until After Easter