In this Redbrick Culture Feature, four writers celebrate their own local cultural institutions, as their very existence is threatened

Images by Nadia Sommella

The arts are often thought of as optional, and certainly COVID-19 has shown many industries that they are non-essential. But, the arts colour our lives. They provide a centre for community, expression and learning. They add character to a place and help us process our emotions. They introduce us to new ideas and supply endless inspiration. You may not need them to survive, but surely you need them to live.

Cultural institutions have taken a huge hit from the COVID-19 pandemic, and whilst large tourist destinations may be able to weather the storm and reopen their doors, many smaller local spots are not in the same enviable position. In this Redbrick Culture Feature we celebrate these local cultural institutions by asking four writers to give a personalised account of one such place that has affected them positively.

Why I Love My Local Theatre, Faith Parker:

Photo by Jim Linwood @Flickr

Nestled in the North Laine area of Brighton, the Theatre Royal is a venue I am very familiar with. The building is striking with regency architecture and red brick and is iconic to Brighton’s heritage, hosting productions since 1807.

From a young age, I attended the theatre with my family, seeing musicals such as Oklahoma and Sunny Afternoon and plays like Talking Heads. The interior of the Theatre Royal is grand with rich red carpets and an impressive chandelier. 

The venue holds memories of when I went there on school trips with my drama department to see Hairspray and Mousetrap. We saw the latter performance sitting up in ‘the gods’. This offered a very different experience from being in the stalls and had a dizzying effect at first. It did not take away any of the suspense of Mousetrap; I still remember my friend sitting next to me gasping loudly in shock at one point in the play. 

I also completed a week of work experience at the theatre, which was a wonderful opportunity. Over the week, I had a day in each department at the theatre. After watching performances there, it was so exciting to see how the theatre operated and this included being taken into the roof of the venue to see where the chandelier was rigged up. 

Photo by Ian Muttoo @Flickr

The theatre is important to me because my experiences there opened my eyes to the work that goes on behind the performances and how many people are involved

The theatre is important to me because my experiences there opened my eyes to the work that goes on behind the performances and how many people are involved. On the 7th July the venue joined the #lightitinred movement honouring cultural and art institutions temporarily inactive. In the current climate, it is so important to keep this local venue alive because of the prestige and all the people involved in making it run. It provides vital cultural entertainment for the community and is a part of what makes Brighton so rich in it’s art scene. 

Why I Love My Local Art Gallery, Nadia Sommella:

Photo by Nadia Sommella

Growing up in London, when I thought of the word gallery, I pictured the sprawling halls of the V&A or the old-fashioned grandeur of the National Gallery. Modern art, to me, was housed in vast industrial buildings like the Tate where one could get lost in the gift shop alone. I was unenlightened to the quiet intimacy of a local gallery.

Since my parents moved to Nottingham one of my favourite places to visit is the Nottingham Contemporary, a white cube gallery in the heart of the city showcasing a revolving programme of temporary exhibitions. Unlike the blockbuster surveys of famous artists I had come accustomed to, complete with the crowds and price tag that such big names draw, the Nottingham Contemporary is a smaller (free) space.

The gallery has been responsible for introducing me to new artists, by championing their work at an earlier stage in their career or by offering international artists their first UK show

The gallery has been responsible for introducing me to new artists, by championing their work at an earlier stage in their career or by offering international artists their first UK show. The artistic mediums showcased have varied from the more typical painted canvases, to large-scale installations, video art and virtual reality experiences. I won’t pretend I have enjoyed each and every one, but it is refreshing to visit a gallery space where I never know quite what to expect, or when I’ll discover a new gem. 

Why I Love My Local Cathedral, Emily Gulbis:

Photo by Antony McCallum @ Wikimedia Commons

Located on the outskirts of the Wiltshire city, the looming spire of Salisbury Cathedral can be seen from whichever direction you approach. Growing up in the South West meant that I was surrounded by many beautiful, historical cities such as Bath and Glastonbury, but Salisbury has always been special to me. The city has recently seen much media attention, following the Salisbury novichok poisonings; aside from this and during the tourist season, the cathedral is a peaceful place to visit.

Dating back to 1092, the first cathedral of Salisbury was at Old Sarum, an Iron Age fort, on a sizeable hill, a good two miles from where Salisbury later came to be built. The then Bishop of Salisbury, Richard Poore, vowed to build a new cathedral away from Old Sarum to escape the influence of the castle and its owner.

It is a popular legend that the bishop fired an arrow into the air saying that wherever it landed he would build his cathedral. The present building in the Avon valley was completed in 1258, with the new addition of its famous spire 30 years later, the second largest spire in Europe. Such a feat of engineering at this time is incredible for us to imagine now. 

In fact, it is remarkable that the building still stands at all. The site of the cathedral was once a partially-drained swamp. The foundations are only 28 inches deep and so the building and spire are effectively floating on a gravel bed in the river. The effect of this is visible within the cathedral; you can see the marble columns that hold up the structure gradually bend as the base of the cathedral moves over time.

Photo by Jack Pease Photography @Flickr

For me, there are many reasons to return multiple times to the cathedral, whether it is the café in the cloisters, the Magna Carta, which is on exhibition here, or the incredible stained-glass windows. Other enjoyable features of the cathedral are the regular services and the occasional concert rehearsals, which fill the building beautifully with music from the choir and the organ. 

There are many reasons to return multiple times to the cathedral, whether it is the café in the cloisters, the Magna Carta, which is on exhibition here, or the incredible stained-glass windows

The enormous size of Salisbury cathedral means it is a place that should be revisited several times. One of the best spots to begin with is the central water feature, a large bronze basin placed in the middle of the aisle. Also nicknamed the ‘funky font’, the crucifix-shaped water table reflects the details decorating the ceiling and even mirrors the large stained-glass window on the back wall when viewed from certain angles. 

The cathedral has already reopened to the public for advanced bookings so I would urge those eager to see cultural heritage sites to make the journey to this ancient, magnificent building.

Why I Love My Local Museum, Frankie Rhodes:

Photo © Philip Pankhurst (cc-by-sa/2.0)

As a nervous Fresher on her first weekend in Birmingham, a trip to a museum was just what I needed to calm my nerves and embrace my new city. So when I noticed the Birmingham & Museum Art Gallery proudly standing within Victoria Square, without even knowing what it was, I wandered in. Flash forward two years and I’m now a volunteer for the Birmingham Museums Trust, and regular attender of their beautiful Edwardian Tearooms.

The Museum is just one of 9 heritage sites that form the Birmingham Museums Trust, with locations including the Jewellery Quarter and Aston. As their primary site and headquarters, the Museum offers three floors with artefacts ranging from Egyptian, to Anglo-Saxon, with a plethora of information on the cultural history of Birmingham, as well as a range of temporary exhibitions.

Before the lockdown, visitors could enjoy ‘Dressed to the Nines,‘ a free exhibition exploring ‘dressing up and going out from around 1850 to the present day.’ A highlight of this collection for me had to be a pair of calf-length, purple velvet Doc Martens, that inspired much envy.

Photo by Rudolf_Shuba @ Wikimedia Commons

Another attraction of BMAG is its extensive Pre-Raphaelite collection, with an entire room dedicated to paintings and sculptures of the movement, in addition to the many items currently on tour. I reviewed this collection for the Volunteer’s Blog here, which is just one of the ways I have been able to get involved, in addition to assisting with tours and object handling sessions.

The Museum and Art Gallery is a friendly, welcoming environment that has introduced me to the world of heritage and provided a beautiful place to unwind

The Museum and Art Gallery is a friendly, welcoming environment that has introduced me to the world of heritage and provided a beautiful place to unwind. It’s so important that this venue, and the Trust in general, is able to survive beyond the lock-down, as it provides vital arts education and celebration for the city. You can donate to their fundraiser here and I for one will most definitely be racing through its doors once the Museum re-opens. 

Like this? Explore more from Culture:

Bookstores’ Struggle to Survive

Back to the 50’s: The Revival of the Drive-in 

My First Time: At the Ballet