News Writer Paris Williams reports on the widespread effect of vaping among the youth.

A law undergraduate with a passion for reading, writing, the guitar and powerlifting.
Images by John Caroro

Vaping has manifested itself as a social norm over the past 20 years since its development in 2003. The first modern E-Cigarette was invented by Hon Lik, a Chinese pharmacist, and has been further developed by the rapidly growing vape industry. Between 2003 and 2009, vaping was in the minority. In recent years, this commodity has become a rapidly growing trend now affecting Britain’s most vulnerable – school children. 

Vaping is not completely foolproof, it does have risks and negative effects

The absence of substantial evidence surrounding the effects of vaping has left many to question whether vaping should be restricted. Experts have noted that vaping is 95% safer to smoke than tobacco, with a low risk of cancer. However, vaping is not completely foolproof, it does have risks and negative effects. 

St Joseph’s High School in Horwich, Bolton is one of the many schools taking measures to restrict their pupils from vaping on school premises. They began the installation of vape sensors which detected 112 vapes on the first day. St Joseph’s has begun educating children and parents on the nature of the problem. Headteacher Tony McCabe describes the extent to which pupils at St Joseph’s are addicted, explaining how some students ‘can’t last a lesson…without the need to pop out and use a vape.’ 

Currently, the law makes it illegal for anyone to sell vapes to persons under the age of 18, however, such prohibition has not safeguarded children from accessing them. Mr Cabe explains that pupils aged 11 have been caught with vapes. This has prompted Rishi Sunak, Conservative Prime Minister to take measures to eradicate youth vaping.

The law makes it illegal for anyone to sell vapes to persons under the age of 18

Figures show that 20.5% of children (aged between 11 and 13) have tried vaping in 2023. Shadow Health Secretary, Wes Streeting has criticised the Prime Minister for being ‘asleep at the wheel’ to the expeditious growth of youth vaping. Streeting explains how labour will ‘come down like a ton of bricks’ and hold vaping industries to account if the conservative government fails to properly address the issue.

The government is currently performing a public consultation that will examine the roots of the problem. The consultation aims to assess the extent to which ‘child-friendly’ flavours, descriptions, and the high visibility of vapes in stores are exacerbating the crisis. It will also welcome the public to share their experiences and opinions on the issue.

Despite the growing need to control youth vaping, there is a fear that the black market will prosper from restrictions implemented by the government. The response to the epidemic needs careful consideration to minimise the undesirable subsequent effects of such regulations.

Read more news articles here:

Drones and Leaf-Busting Trains to Help keep the West Midlands Railway Tracks Clear

Exeter University to Offer Degree in Magic

Investigations into the Selly Oak Muggings Continue