Travel Writer Thisbe Titley recounts her weekend trip to the market city of Seattle

Written by thisbe titley
Images by Thisbe Titley

In December I travelled to visit my boyfriend in Washington, US. Once there, we took a weekend trip to Seattle, a 50 minute ferry journey away from where he lives. We stayed in a hotel situated in downtown Seattle and were close to the various things we wanted to see, something to bear in mind when considering where to stay in the city as it is rather spread out. 

Day 1 

After checking into our hotel, we headed out to explore. Our first stop was Pike Place Market. The Pike Place Market is a quintessential Seattle landmark. Founded in 1907, the market is in the centre of downtown, and is one of the oldest continually operating markets within the US. Inside, there is a myriad of different stalls, ranging from craft and vintage shops to stalls selling fresh fish. A famous attraction within the market involves ‘catching a flying fish’. Finding one of the fresh fish stands to have attracted a large crowd, we joined to see what was happening.

After a few moments, those working there suddenly spread out into the crowd and began hurling a huge salmon between them. If you were brave enough, you could volunteer to get involved- I was not! I understand the fish throwing continues throughout the day, so you are unlikely to miss it when visiting the market. 

Founded in 1907, the market is in the centre of downtown, and is one of the oldest continually operating markets within the US

Following this, we went to see the infamous ‘gum wall’. Creation of the wall began in the 1990s when locals would stick their gum on a wall underneath the market. Since then, the gum collection has extended all the way down the wall, and become a main attraction for those visiting the market. After taking some pictures, we headed to Starbucks for a coffee. This was not just any Starbucks, however, but the Original Starbucks, opened here in 1971. One giveaway of this was the decor, with the shop having kept its original logo and style from when it was first opened. The other giveaway was the huge line to get in! We estimated it would take over an hour, so opted for a coffee shop next door.

While definitely worth a visit for coffee lovers, I would recommend getting in line early if you want to actually buy a coffee. As the evening drew in, we were faced with many different restaurant choices for dinner. This was one great plus about Seattle: there are so many restaurant choices, and a huge variety of cuisines! After much deliberation we settled on Chinese cuisine, which considering our central location was very fairly priced, and delicious! 

This was one great plus about Seattle: there are so many restaurant choices, and a huge variety of cuisines

Day 2 

Our second day began with a trip on the monorail, the fastest way to get from downtown to Seattle centre (where we wanted to be). Seattle centre is a hub of different organisations and landmarks that attract millions of visitors every year. The most well known one of these, and our first stop, was the Space Needle. Standing at 605 feet tall, the Space Needle is one of the most photographed structures in the world. At its top it has a restaurant which revolves slowly, making for an incredible dining experience. However, because of the cost of entry being around £30, we decided not to go up and just appreciate it from the ground.

The juxtaposition of the city and the water is what, personally, I found made Seattle such a beautiful city

Following this, we made our way towards the Puget Sound, the body of water that Seattle lies on. The juxtaposition of the city and the water is what, personally, I found made Seattle such a beautiful city. We discovered various tempting places to eat by the waterfront, and eventually settled on Ivars, a fish and chips bar. For around £10 we got a generous portion of battered prawns, chips, and some clam chowder. The chowder was a first for me, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. After our meal, it was time for the ferry home. 

Final Thoughts 

I was very grateful to have the chance to explore such an interesting and beautiful city. While there was infinitely more to see and do in Seattle, the places we visited gave me a taste for the soul of the city. The unique landmarks, and mouth watering variety of food, make Seattle a perfect place to explore in a weekend.  

Read more 48 Hours In… articles here:

48 Hours In…Seville

48 Hours in… Lot-et-Garonne

48 Hours In…Heidelberg