Alice Tilley talks us through her top recommendations for a short trip to Seville

Written by Alice Tilley
Images by Alice Tilley

This November, my parents and I caught a flight to Seville, travelling off-season to avoid the summer buzz and secure cheaper flights and accommodation. Our flights were £68 each and £30 a night each for our Airbnb. This came to £158 per person, making it affordable if you are on a budget. We stayed in the Casco Antiguo neighbourhood, surrounded by bars, cafes, and shops. Staying in this area is the best option, as once you are in the centre almost everything is within walking distance, cutting costs on transport.

We stayed in the Casco Antiguo neighbourhood, surrounded by bars, cafes, and shops

Day 1

Arriving from the airport to the centre via public transport takes an hour and involves taking two buses, so we opted for a Bolt to avoid complications. This cost 12 euros and was a short 20 minute drive. We started our first day by going for breakfast at Quilombo Tapas. The food was fresh, inexpensive and came quickly. A great place to go for breakfast or brunch if you visit Seville. Next, we visited Mercado del Pulgas, a flea market surrounded by vintage shops. It was fun to browse the variety of items, from jewellery to antiques to clothes. There was a great lively atmosphere too.

We visited Mercado del Pulgas, a flea market surrounded by vintage shops

We then headed to the Real Alcazar of Seville, the oldest royal palace in Europe that is still in use today. It boasts an impressive blend of Moorish, Gothic, Renaissance, and Baroque architecture. It was 12.50 euros per person and worth the money. It is best to book in advance by at least a day, as on some days it is sold out, and is not something you want to miss. We spent the afternoon looking around the picturesque rooms, lush gardens, and intricate courtyards. As the sun started to set, we explored the historic Santa Cruz neighbourhood, a maze of narrow streets, charming squares, and lively tapas bars. We went to the rooftop bar La Terraza del EME to grab a cocktail and watch the sunset.

Day 2

We began the day by walking the expansive and picturesque Parque de Maria Luisa. Nestled along the Guadalquivir River, it is a peaceful break amidst the vibrant city life. We then headed to the Plaza de España, which is the size of five football pitches! It is beautiful and completely free to enter. There are amazing performances by flamenco dancers. This is free but it is recommended to give a small donation, saving spending 30 to 40 euros on an evening show. In the evening, we made our way to the modern Setas de Sevilla, also known as the Metropol Parasol. The architecture stands in contrast to the historic surroundings, resembling a series of giant mushrooms, and it is a testament to the city’s ability to blend the old with the new. We finished off the day by heading to El Rinconcillo, which is the oldest bar in Seville, dating back to 1670! We got there when it reopened at eight pm and there was already a queue due to its popularity, so it is recommended to get there early. Despite its lovely ambience and tasty food, the restaurant area was overpriced, so I would suggest going for a drink and a couple of tapas. Make sure to check the opening times ahead of visiting too, as they close between five thirty and eight pm.

Final thoughts

Seville is a great place to visit for a 48-hour stay with its mix of history, culture, and culinary delights. The city’s beautiful architecture coupled with reasonable prices makes it an accessible yet enjoyable destination for a short getaway. 

Read more 48 Hours In… articles here:

https://www.redbrick.me/48-hours-in-heidelberg/

https://www.redbrick.me/48-hours-in-prague/

https://www.redbrick.me/48-hours-in-dublin/