Culture Writer Joi Foote reviews the dance performance Message in a Bottle, praising the dancers’ ability to move effortlessly and in harmony

Written by Joi Foote
Images by Helen Maybanks

Content Warning: This article contains mentions of themes such as war, violence, and detention centres which some readers may find distressing.

Through the medium of song and dance, Message in a Bottle captures the story of a family of refugees as they embark on a turbulent journey to seek refuge from the war and conflict that has broken out in their home country. The first act swiftly moves from celebration to violence as the dancers so effortlessly portray the devastating effects of war, with the second act honing in on three individual stories of the family. 

I decided to go to the performance only aware of the title, allowing the performance to lead me and not my prior knowledge of how the story should unfold. What this meant is that the tagline ‘The Extraordinary New Dance Show’ evaded me, and it was not until the third song ‘Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic’ that I realised this was purely a dance performance. I would be lying if I did not say panic set in when I realised there would no be any dialogue. However, this panic was definitely alleviated through the dancers’ ability to keep me on track of the story, to convey the plot and capture my attention from start to end. 

In hindsight, the lack of dialogue only added to the underpinning message of the story. Although the synopsis gave names to these characters, without them being vocalised on stage, it allowed for their stories to be synonymous for all. This is not just one family’s story; it transcends beyond borders and countries. The timing of this performance could not have been better; this is especially relevant considering the current state of affairs and what is unfolding in Afghanistan in response the Taliban and America’s treatment of those fleeing Haiti. The themes of refuge, loss and survival are unfolding daily before our eyes. 

This is not just one family’s story; it transcends beyond borders and countries

The importance and value of the soundtrack was undeniable. I got a true sense of the collaborative nature of this whole project. Everything down from the lyrics to the choreography and the lighting all fit together so perfectly. Upon hearing the lyrics ‘This girl is half his age,’ a lightbulb switched on almost immediately. As I realised what was about to happen, I gripped to the arms of my seat as I watched the performance unfold. In the second act, the repetitious lyrics ‘Set them free’ rung out on the backdrop of the characters locked up in what I perceived to be a detention centre. Whilst Message in a Bottle is an imagined story, the piece in its entirety so evidently sends a clear message to how often the migrant crisis is misled. 

This performance made me feel all the emotions; the defeat, the hope, and even the fear. The simplicity but effectiveness of the dancers’ use of breath. As a collective, they told a story with their bodies, with the dynamics of their movements embodying the essence of every scene. There were so many beautifully constructed moments – props to the lighting and special effects team. The visual projection of the nightmare was a particular favourite of mine: a striking moment of creativity that fit well with the aim of the piece in depicting the experiences of those effected from civil war and violence. I cannot imagine the pressure the dancers must have been under to dance in perfect harmony with the projected images and do so in a way that made it appear effortless. 

[The dancers] dance in perfect harmony with the projected images and do so in a way that made it appear effortless

My only criticism is that I found the start of the second act harder to follow. Whilst we went from images of confinement to freedom, the progression of such could have been made clearer, as the audience is left to fill this in ourselves. I am unsure whether this was the intention of the piece or not. That being said, it quickly became clear that this was the development of the three individual stories as opposed to the overarching narrative. 

They say actions speak louder than words and it would be hard not to say the actions of the entire cast spoke to each and every audience member – this subsequently led to a complete standing ovation from the audience. 

Enjoyed this? Read more on Redbrick Culture!

Review: Passagers

Review: Bloody Mary Live!

Review: April in Paris