Life&Style’s Georgia Wells details her favourite outfits from Netflix’s ‘Emily in Paris’ and reveals affordable high street pieces to recreate Lily Collins’ iconic looks

Written by Georgia Wells
Images by Chris Karidis

New Netflix original show, Emily in Paris, has caught its viewers’ attention, from discussions surrounding the accused stereotypical depiction of the French, to Emily’s bold choice in fashion. Program creator Darren Star argued against the accusation of French clichés, claiming instead that he ‘wanted to do a show that celebrated that part of Paris.’ One way he shows his appreciation is by reminding us that Paris is the ‘fashion capital’. Emily’s outfits, though experimental at times, have definitely got viewers talking, and wondering where Star has found all of these unique pieces.

Emily’s outfits, though experimental at times, have definitely got viewers talking

Designer brands are at the core of the Parisian fashion world, and this has been made clear in the show. Chanel, Dior and Marc Jacobs are just a few French designer brands that have been shown throughout the episodes, clearly not shying away from the high-end labels. So when it comes to replicating these outfits, it isn’t exactly easy to do, particularly when on a budget. This is where my research comes in. I have picked 10 iconic outfits from the show and recreated them using high street stores so that we can all get a taste of Emily’s ‘Paris chic’.

Outfit 1: A Bold Entrance to the Office (Episode 1)

The first outfit comes from Emily’s first day in the office, where she is making a point from the offset that she is not afraid of clashing patterns. Much like the gorgeous patterned blouse she is wearing, I have found a patterned shirt from River Island, made from a satin fabric with a puff sleeve, which is very on trend at the moment. This is paired with a faux leather snakeskin print skirt, and a white crop top underneath the shirt, completing the look. This may not be to everybody’s taste, but it definitely would catch the attention of new work colleagues on your first day.

Outfit 2: Casual Moving-In (Episode 1)

Now to a more casual look. Taking the white crop top from the previous outfit, Emily’s moving-in attire is comfortable but still cute. Wear this with an oversized red flannel, and a classic pair of black skinny jeans and this look is complete. If you wanted to add to this, throw a coat over the top with a pair of ankle boots for the perfect autumn look.

Outfit 3: Brightening Up a Rainy Day (Episode 8)

For another casual, weather appropriate outfit, this third look sees Emily taking a trip to Camille’s family home

For another casual, weather appropriate outfit, this third look sees Emily taking a trip to Camille’s family home. Though not quite as bright as the jumper in the show, this brush knit jumper still includes some vibrant colours which would look gorgeous on a dull autumn’s day. Taking the same pair of classic black skinny jeans from the previous outfit, we can then add yellow bee print wellies for a final pop of colour. I’d even argue that these boots are better than the Emily’s originals, because a cute bee print is always a perfect addition to any outfit! Finally, add a beanie to make sure you can stay warm. This beanie in particular also comes with the added bonus that the company, OutsideIn, promises that for every item purchased, a clothing item is given to somebody suffering from homelessness.

Outfit 4: Stylish Coordination (Episode 3)

For the fourth outfit we turn to look at the more dressy pieces, showcasing the Parisian high ends of fashion. One current trend that Emily likes to jump on is the matching co-ords. Simple yet stylish, this black and white gingham co-ord combines together the blazer and shorts which is perfect for office wear, or for a shopping trip around the Champs-Elysees. And what could be more iconic French than pairing it with a red beret? Emily really does not want us to forget what country she is in!

Outfit 5: Patterned in Pink (Episode 10)

Another patterned co-ord set Emily shows off is a pink houndstooth matching blazer and skirt set. With blazers rising in popularity outside of the workplace, Emily is also jumping on a second trend of the houndstooth pattern, which is being increasingly sold in high street stores. Though her style is certainly unique to herself, there are always subtle appreciations for current trends.

Outfit 6: A Vision in Rouge (Episode 7)

Emily likes to bring continuity to her outfits, with this one focusing on her pairing of red items

Continuing to look outside of the workplace, we can now turn to some of the iconic dresses Emily wears. Much like her co-ord sets, Emily likes to bring continuity to her outfits, with this one focusing on her pairing of red items. This gorgeous lace dress with sheer red sleeves would be appropriate for any formal event, especially in the lead up to Christmas. In keeping with Emily’s style, pair this with a red longline duster coat and an iconic red lip to complete this rouge look.

Outfit 7: Paying Homage to Hepburn (Episode 6)

The red lip is also found when Emily is emulating Audrey Hepburn in Funny Face whilst wearing perhaps the most talked about outfit from the season. No high street dress could replicate the true beauty of the original Christian Siriano off-the-shoulder black dress. However, this version from Dorothy Perkins definitely nods to style, and can be worn with the same amount of elegance. This elegance can be heightened by a pair of classic black court heels, and this rhinestone covered ball clutch bag, completing an affordable replica of Emily’s outfit to the ballet.

Outfit 8: Simply Sunny (Episode 1)

Whilst not quite as iconic, Emily’s black and yellow print maxi dress has also caught attention amongst fans. Admittedly, this was not an easy piece to replicate, but this daisy print mustard shirt dress definitely gives off the same sort of style, particularly when paired with a simple black belt as Emily has done. The long sleeves also make it a perfect addition to your winter wardrobe. This dress is paired with a mustard coloured shopper bag to match the dress, and a pair of simple black heeled sandals to tie together the yellow and the black.

Outfit 9: Summertime Tea Dress (Episode 3)

For the penultimate outfit we look back at the tea dress trend popular in the summer of this year. Although it lacks the halter neck from the original outfit, this midi tea dress showcases current trends whilst also acknowledging Emily’s blue and white floral patterns. Add a timeless leather jacket, in this case in a blush colour, some white heeled ankle boots, and the look is complete.

Outfit 10: A Floral Favourite for Every Occasion (Episode 2)

And finally is my favourite dress from the season: another off-the-shoulder dress, this time slightly more casual. The floral print also pays attention to the floral dress trend from the summer, and would be perfect for any occasion, from shopping to a date night. This is then paired with a pair of hot pink court heels for a final pop of colour. All-round elegance.

These high street finds show that we aren’t limited to designer brands

These high street finds show that we aren’t limited to designer brands when it comes to showing off with our fashion style. Some pieces are certainly braver than others, but I think Emily’s fashion style encapsulates a wide enough variety that there is at least one outfit for everyone within her varied style. And all of these pieces show that you can keep to current trends whilst still making your style completely your own.

Like this? Check out our other fashion features:

Fashion in Film: Iconic Movies That Never Go Out of Style

The Visuals that Elevated the Video: Fashion in Music Videos

Beyond Normal: Marianne’s Iconic Style