Sport Writer Oscar Frost reports on the opening match of England’s T20 series in India, as the tourists secured a dominant win in Ahmedabad

Written by Oscar Frost
Hi! I'm Oscar, and I'm one of your deputy editors for the coming year. I was also a sports editor for two years, and a writer for a year before that.

After a disappointing end to the tests, there was great pressure on England to perform in the five-match T20 series. The rotation schedule for the English players only added to this, with Joe Root missing the likes of Jonny Bairstow and Jos Buttler for certain test matches to ensure their availability for England’s busy white-ball schedule. Friday’s T20 series opener was the 15th encounter between England and India in international cricket’s shortest format. With each side winning seven of the previous matches, the stage was set for a great game under the lights in Ahmedabad.

After winning the toss, England captain Eoin Morgan’s decision to field brought immediate success as KL Rahul dragged a Jofra Archer thunderbolt onto the stumps in the second over. Adil Rashid was soon in the wickets as well, as Chris Jordan took a relatively simple catch to dismiss Virat Kohli without scoring. It was the India skipper’s second duck in a row, and third in his last five innings across all formats. In trouble at 3-2, star of the fourth test Rishabh Pant came out all guns blazing, hitting a huge scooped six that seemed to bring the 67,000-strong Indian crowd back to life. This momentum did not last long, however, as Mark Wood was rewarded for his incredibly fast bowling, averaging over 90 miles per hour, clean bowling Shikhar Dhawan after a huge swing to a straight ball.

England captain Eoin Morgan’s decision to field brought immediate success

At three wickets down and scoring at under four an over in the powerplay, the Indians were in full panic mode. A solid catch by Bairstow on the boundary to dismiss Pant for 21 highlighted the fantastic field placement from Morgan, dismissing the dangerous keeper-batsman for a sub-par score.

The momentum did seem to be swinging India’s way, though, with the run-rate slowly climbing towards a run per ball. Back-to-back boundaries by Hardik Pandya really set the pace for a possible strong finish from the home side. Shreyas Iyer also struck some hefty blows, clubbing a half-century in just 36 balls as he and Pandya began to attack the England bowlers. A great catch from Chris Jordan dismissed Pandya and broke the partnership, then a golden duck for Shardul Thakur meant that Archer was on a hat-trick. The crowd watched with bated breath as Archer charged in, only for him to disappoint with a wide bouncer. Iyer was soon caught brilliantly on the boundary by Dawid Malan for 67 off 48 balls, propelling India to a total of 124-7 at the close of the innings.

A huge six over midwicket showed England’s intent to chase the relatively small total in quick time

As Jason Roy and Buttler came to the crease, there seemed to be a few nerves between the two, as Roy only just lobbed the infield after a poor shot. A quick couple of boundaries soon settled him in, however, and a huge six over midwicket showed England’s intent to chase the relatively small total in quick time. Buttler also did not hold back, but a brilliant piece of fielding from Rahul on the boundary saved another six being added to his total. Buttler came very close to being out LBW after a review by the Indians, but the opening pair quickly got to their 50 partnership after just six overs. It was very much England’s game to lose.

Buttler did fall on 28, giving the home fans something to cheer about. Roy and Malan kept the run-rate ticking over, which was working very well until Roy was sent packing on an agonising 49 runs off 32 deliveries. If this gave the Indian crowd a glimmer of hope, it was quickly dashed by Bairstow hitting a huge six into the crowd. Bairstow’s multiple sixes would have been a welcome sight for the England camp after a shaky batting performance in the test series, and the innings could be the start of a resurgence for the 31-year-old. Malan came close to being caught and bowled by Washington Sundar, but Bairstow came between the bowler and the ball completely unintentionally. The off-spinner was seething at the non-striker, but it is hard to see what Bairstow could have done to get out of the way of the ball.

Malan finished the innings in style with a huge six, bringing England home to a comfortable eight-wicket victory in the first game of the series. With lots to improve on from the Indian side, the English fans can only hope that the same downhill spiral in the test series does not repeat itself, and that this victory is the start of a successful white-ball tour.

Like this? Check out more from Redbrick Sport:

The Greatest Male Athletes of All-Time (Part 2)

The Greatest Female Athletes of All-Time (Part 2)

The Hundred: A Breakthrough for Women’s Cricket?