Comment Writer Victoria Wilson argues that although the normalisation of sex work on social media is necessary to combat the stigma associated with the industry, viewers should not be deceived by the glamorous façade found on exploitive posts.

Written by Victoria Wilson

Recently, social media platforms, namely TikTok, have seen a surge in posts surrounding sex work. Creators are attracting millions of views by documenting their experiences, advice and predominantly income earned in the industry, particularly through OnlyFans. This increasing accessibility of knowledge surrounding sex work has sparked controversy online. Are these posts normalising and reducing the stigma around sex work as a valid career path, or glamourising a harmful lifestyle that funds patriarchal exploitation of women?

This increasing accessibility of knowledge surrounding sex work has sparked controversy online

Ironically, in an attempt to liberate sex workers, many posts circulating on social media are actually reinforcing harmful stereotypes of the industry. Glamourised, one-sided depictions of sex work as an easy get rich quick scheme contributes to assumptions that it is not a legitimate, respectable line of work. As many social media users are underage, with TikTok’s minimum age set to 13, these posts are manipulating and exploiting young people, desperate for financial independence, into an inescapable cycle of judgement, danger, exploitation, and poor mental health. Arguably, sex work does have many positive qualities. It can be a fun, flexible business enterprise, providing a healthy income, facilitating travel, and boosting confidence and transferable skills in marketing and finance. Workers can be their own boss and girl boss by inverting patriarchal demands and exploitation to fill their own pockets. However, romanticising this girl boss ideal does not come without a heaped serving of gaslighting and gatekeeping. Posts glorifying sex work as a revolutionary expression of choice feminism not only lure vulnerable young girls into a harsh industry; they silence and invalidate women who do not have the privilege to simply choose or reject sex work or use it as a side hustle to fund an exotic holiday. Women who depend on it. Therefore, idealised posts presenting only the rose-tinted tip of the iceberg of the sex work industry to young girls are intensely problematic.

Idealised posts presenting only the rose-tinted tip of the iceberg of the sex work industry to young girls are intensely problematic

Many social media creators, however, educate viewers on how to enter the field of sex work safely and successfully. They offer a balanced perspective of sex work, helping to raise acceptance and reduce stigma around the industry, whilst shedding light on the isolating, exhausting and dangerous aspects. Sex work is not a get rich quick scheme. As with all careers, it carries pros and cons. It requires hard work in modelling, photography, customer service, accounting and marketing, in return for an irregular income often limited by the circulation of free, unethical porn. OnlyFans may present a façade of autonomy, control, and security; however, the independence of users leaves them vulnerable to exploitation, abuse and coercion. Stepping away from the highlight reel, many TikTokers expose and warn of the damage sex workers may experience to their mental health, body confidence, future career aspirations, privacy, security and relationships against a backdrop of contrasting humorous anecdotes and positive experiences. For example, creator @nikki_rainbowenvy2.0 shares informed, honest Q&A videos about her experiences in the industry under an 18+ content warning label. This genuine approach allows older viewers to make well-informed choices regarding sex work, proving that a balanced judgement of the industry is not only possible but essential. As an inevitable part of life, sex work deserves a just and honest representation on social media and in wider society to facilitate acceptance. 

Sex work is not a get rich quick scheme. As with all careers, it carries pros and cons

Ultimately, the normalisation of sex work both on social media and mainstream media is crucial to battle the stigma surrounding it and to make the industry safer. Informative TikToks aimed at adults that maintain a balanced approach and have content warnings are key in building acceptance towards and empowering sex workers. This is particularly essential as many have turned to sex work in the recent lockdowns as a source of income. However, there is a fine line between normalisation and glamourisation. TikTok is littered with shiny posts flashing shiny bank accounts, shiny new cars, and shiny smiles, which hook underage girls into the real much shadier, uncertain, challenging field of sex work that lies beneath this façade. Fortunately, awareness of these potentially well-intentioned but ultimately exploitative posts is growing on the platform, reminding viewers not to believe everything they read online.

Read More From Comment:

Why is Bisexuality Still So Stigmatized 

The Power of a Positive Vision

The Future of Libraries After Lockdown