Life&Style writer Georgia Wells gifts us a sustainable present-wrapping guide to help look after our planet this Christmas

Written by Georgia Wells
Images by Juliana Malta

Christmas is a time for celebration, often coupled with over-indulgence, and this indulgence is certainly not spared when it comes to our Christmas wrapping. On Instagram and Pinterest we see increasingly lavishly decorated gifts, some packaged so beautifully that you almost wouldn’t want to remove the wrapping. But with such lavishness also comes waste. It is estimated that ‘Brits will bin what equates to 108 million rolls of wrapping paper’ this Christmas, an unnecessary waste when people are mostly interested in the gift that is inside. So, in an attempt to protect the environment whilst also keeping your gift-wrapping Pinterest-worthy, I have come up with a list of eco-friendly gift-wrapping and decorating ideas that you will make you both excited and a little smug to give your presents this Christmas.

Wrapping Paper (and alternatives!)

An easy first step towards sustainability is buying recyclable wrapping paper, or Kraft paper

An easy first step towards sustainability is buying recyclable wrapping paper, or Kraft paper, which can be found affordably in most shops. It comes in all sorts of festive patterns to add some variety to your gifts, and can be popped straight into the recycling box once it’s served its purpose. This rustic-inspired stag print paper is perfect for wrapping your gifts in style!

On the topic of Kraft paper, why not add a handmade touch to your wrapping by buying plain Kraft paper and decorating it? One fun and easy way of doing this is by using festive rubber stamps that can be bought in a variety of styles and paired with different inks. Alternatively to stamps, if you are quite artsy why not draw or paint on your own designs? This is a fun way to add a personal edge to your gifts, starting from the wrapping paper.

For an option that is not only eco-friendly, but also incredibly cost effective, you could use newspaper instead of wrapping paper. Not only is the cost low, but it will definitely make your presents stand out. This is another opportunity for you to show your creative side, as you can play around with different pairings of ribbons and bows for an eco-friendly, rustic look.

Or instead of using paper, why not give knot wraps a try? This fabric alternative reduces waste entirely whilst also giving your recipient an additional gift before they get to their main present. Lush have some great knot wraps available, in both festive and just generally fun prints. If your gift is slightly too big for a knot wrap, using a scarf is a great option. It is a perfect winter accessory, and can really show that you’ve thought about the person you are treating, even down to the wrapping. There are many ways to tie scarves and knot wraps around gifts, so you can play around and find out fun new ways of wrapping presents that don’t require the faff of Sellotape.

Another way of avoiding tape is by using tote bags to package your presents

Another way of avoiding tape is by using tote bags to package your presents. Again, you can personalise these by buying totes with prints that are specific to the person, so that under the tree they wouldn’t even need to look for a gift tag to work out which one is theirs. It is also a great way of encouraging sustainability in others after Christmas as they can take the bags shopping with them so they’ve got their alternative to having to buy a plastic carrier bag.

If you do opt for paper and therefore need to be using some tape, make sure you are swapping out your regular Sellotape for zero-plastic tape. It would be a shame to see your efforts gone to waste by then covering the paper in plastic. This zero-plastic tape is easy to find in most supermarkets, and at no more cost than your regular roll. It is definitely worth making the switch.

Wrapping Decorations

With the Kraft paper or newspaper already creating a rustic look to your gift wrapping, why not take that one step further by adding on some rustic decorations. One great option for this is using dried oranges or cinnamon sticks to spice up your gift and even add a festive scent. Using some twine to tie such decorations onto your present will make it completely unmissable underneath the tree.

Another way of adding some beauty to your wrapping is attaching sprigs from a Christmas tree

In keeping with the natural theme, another way of adding some beauty to your wrapping is attaching sprigs from a Christmas tree, or even winter flowers onto the gift. You will want to make sure you are adding this closer to the day to keep them as fresh as possible, but once they’re done with they are easily compostable and won’t be sent into landfill.

If you are wanting a more traditional decoration, then these recyclable bows from Dunelm are a perfect classic present topper. A present doesn’t feel complete until you’ve popped a bow on top, so this is one way to achieve that signature look whilst also avoiding waste.

I have left my favourite find until last! If you have bought a lot of gifts for your loved ones then you will want to be adding tags to remember who they are all for. These plantable paper bauble gift tags are such an exciting addition to a present that’s life will continue long after Christmas. Once planted, each bauble will grow into one of 24 possible British wildflowers to add some brightness to your home which will no doubt help combat the post-Christmas blues.

These eco-friendly alternatives are simple ways of reducing waste on Christmas Day. They are not only sustainable, but they are also brilliant ways of showing your creative side whilst also adding a personal touch to show the person that you care about what you are giving them.

Celebrate Christmas with Life&Style:

Life&Style’s Independent Christmas Gift Guide 2020

Redbrick’s Festive Earrings Guide 2020

I’m Dreaming of…a Modest Christmas?