Food Writer Cailtin McGraw details her simple, customisable tofu bowl recipe ideal for a healthy lunch or dinner.

Written by Caitlin McGraw
2nd year politics and sociology student. lover of all things popular culture <3
Images by Anh Nguyen , Caitlin McGraw

This tofu bowl recipe was inspired by browsing pictures on Pinterest, as well as using up the ingredients I had leftover in my cupboards at the end of the week. Many of the ingredients can be swapped as tofu bowls are completely customisable, with some also including carrots, broccoli or chickpeas.

Tofu bowls are completely customisable…

It can be prepared as a lunch or dinner, and meal-prepped to be heated up the next day.

Aldi have recently started to stock tofu for under one pound, and this is a quick and easy dish covering many food groups to make as an introduction to cooking with tofu.

Serves 2 

Ingredients:

• 2 small, sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed 
  • 1 block of tofu, pressed and cut into chunks 
  • 1 packet of microwave classic white rice
  • 1 avocado, sliced
  • 1 pepper, whichever colour you prefer, sliced into long strips – I used yellow
  • 1/2 cucumber, cut into chunks 
  • Sweet chilli sauce- optional, to drizzle
  • Salt 
  • Pepper 
  • Chilli flakes 

Method:

1. First put the prepared sweet potato in a greased frying pan and heat through for about five minutes.

2. Add the tofu and peppers. Season with salt, pepper and chilli flakes, and heat for a further 10 minutes, until the tofu is visibly golden brown.

3. Meanwhile, microwave the rice according to the packet’s instructions, before emptying into a bowl. 

4. Place half of the cucumbers and avocado over one half of the rice, before adding half of the fried ingredients onto the other side. Place the other halves into a Tupperware dish to reheat the next day.

5. Further season your bowl, and drizzle with sweet chilli sauce depending on your spice preference before tucking into your completed tofu bowl.

summer tofu bowl

@Caitlin McGraw

Tips

• Fresh rice can be used, but the packets available from ALDI ensure the sticky texture which ties this dish together.

Hungry for more? Check out these articles:

Recipe: Vegan Butter Tofu Curry

Recipe: Chickpea, Avocado, and Sweet Chilli Salad 

Recipe: Honey Chilli Chicken