TV Writer Charis Gambon reviews the latest BBC adaptation of Around the World in 80 Days, finding it to be an exciting and atmospheric adventure

Written by charisGambon

Spoilers for Around the World in 80 Days.

I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the new BBC show Around the World in 80 Days. The story has always been a favourite of mine and I believe that the new adaption lived up to the name.  The actors that had been chosen for the parts were absolutely spot on and suited their characters immensely. The TV adaptation is lively and provides a sense for the viewer that they could actually have been there too.  All of the family will enjoy watching this adaptation of a literary classic.

The TV adaptation is lively and provides a sense for the viewer that they could actually have been there too

As someone who enjoys history, I loved the atmosphere of the show. I felt that they had done an incredible job of creating the year 1871 on the screen for viewers.  I truly felt that the Victorian era had been properly captured by the producers of Around the World in 80 Days.  It was so wonderful to be able to see other parts of the world beyond Victorian England during the same time period.

David Tennant, Leonie Benesch, and Ibrahim Koma acted the main characters of Phileas Fogg, Abigail ‘Fix’ Fortescue and Passepartout incredibly well. Tennant as usual brought his own brilliant and unique take to his portrayal of Fogg. In the BBC TV show, he portrayed Fogg as more nervous and clumsier which certainly adds to the charm of the character, whereas in the original Fogg is more self-assured. This new interpretation of the character adds to the desire from the audience for Fogg to complete his journey.

Tennant as usual brought his own brilliant and unique take to his portrayal of Fogg

Watching the enthusiasm for Fogg to complete his trip around the world in 80 days at his private dining club in London was a lovely addition to the story. They really believed in him, even to the extent that they purchased a large map and placed pins upon it for every destination he reached. An incredibly emotional scene in the series occurs at the private club when Fogg, Fix and Passepartout are declared dead due to being thrown off the ship into the ocean. Fortescue (Jason Watkins), the father of Abigail Fix and the editor of The Daily Telegraph, puts together a sombre and heartfelt remembrance service for Fogg commenting that it will begin at ten as that is the time he always arrived at the club.

One of my favourite scenes is in episode two, where Fogg works out how to get the train over the broken bridge and saves a young boy’s life in the process. The scene is so climatic, and viewers will be left with a feeling of dread followed by relief when they manage to make it.  In this scene, the brilliance of Fogg can be clearly seen. Fogg manages to make it around the world due to the support of others, especially in the early stages where he is incredibly unsure of himself.  The three of them are an incredibly successful unit and that is why it hurts incredibly when Passepartout betrays Fogg, even if it is short-lived. Fogg manages to find it within himself to forgive him though as he is a forgiving man.

[Fix] adds a new and exciting dynamic to the story and I believe that she is a great addition

Fix is a new addition to the BBC adaptation of Around the World in 80 Days. She adds a new and exciting dynamic to the story and I believe that she is a great addition. She brings about new knowledge and challenges with her, and she pushes Fog in ways that no other character does.  I did however not enjoy the romantic element between herself and Passepartout as I found it to be unnecessary. I love her character because she is a woman trying to make her way in a world that was not created for her.

Overall, I recommend the show and would definitely suggest that others find the time to watch Around the World in 80 Days. I believe that people who are young adults and upwards will enjoy the series. Additionally, people of various backgrounds will be able to engage with the show, you do not have to have a background in classics or history.

Want more of the best BBC iPlayer has to offer? Check out these reviews:

Review: What We Do In The Shadows – Season Three

Review: The Outlaws

Why Detectorists is Seriously Underrated