Sport Writer Joi Foote comments on the retirement of Sebastian Vettel, one of the greatest Formula One drivers of all time

Written by Joi Foote

Four-time world champion, Sebastian Vettel announced that this Formula One season would be his last, as he retires from the motor racing sport. He made the announcement in a video posted to his newly created Instagram account, alongside the caption #THEREISSTILLARACETOWIN.

The Aston Martin driver statedI love this sport. It has been central to my life since I can remember. But as much as there is life on track, there is my life off track too. Being a racing driver has never been my sole identity.

‘Next to racing, I have grown a family and I love being around them. I have grown other interests outside Formula One. My passion for racing and Formula 1 comes with lots of time spent away from them and takes a lot of energy. Committing to my passion the way I did and the way I think it is right, does no longer go side by side with my wish to be a great father and husband. 

My goals have shifted from winning races and fighting for championships to seeing my children grow, passing on my values, helping them up when they fall, listening to them when they need me, not having to say goodbye, and most importantly, being able to learn from them and let them inspire me.’

My goals have shifted from winning races and fighting for championships to seeing my children grow

Vettel has had a phenomenal career in Formula One that spans over a decade. Not only does he have four world titles to his name, but his career has seen him win 53 races and achieve 122 podiums.

He first made his debut in 2006 with BMW Sauber as a Formula One test driver, before securing a full-time position with Toro Rosso. It was during his time here that Vettel became the youngest ever driver to win an a Formula One Grand Prix. He then moved to Red Bull in 2009 before most recently landing a contract with Aston Martin in 2021.

Vettel’s talent has been undeniable from his first race, and it is no doubt that he will be missed within the F1 community.

Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton in reaction to the news tweeted: ‘Seb, it’s been an honour to call you a competitor and an even greater honour to call you my friend. Leaving this sport better than you found it is always the goal. I have no doubt that whatever comes next for you will be exciting, meaningful and rewarding.

Whilst reigning, world champion Max Verstappen tweeted, ‘Congrats Seb, on an amazing career. I’m very happy to have shared the track with you, let’s make your last races great once more.’ He further commented on the matter at the Hungarian Grand Prix press conference where he reasoned with the German driver’s departure: At the end of the day, he has achieved so much in this sport that it’s fully understandable for him to retire.’

As the first half of the 2022 season ends, there only stands nine more races till his Formula One career comes to a close.

Check out the latest sports articles here:

Jake Daniels Comes Out As First Gay Footballer Since 1990

Commonwealth Countdown: The Pacific Island Nations

Match Report: Middlesex vs Essex Eagles