Finding solace in a pandemic, Music Editor David Evans reviews and chats to Fergus Channell about his newest single

Final year Politics student and Music Editor @ Redbrick.
Images by Umberto Cofini

Recently graduated from UoB and cast out into the world of stacking shelves amidst a pandemic, Fergus Channell’s bluesy new single makes for cathartic listening. Having impressed crowds during last year’s B29 Tour and standout shows for ValeFest and local promoters, Fergus and co have gone from strength to strength, honing their sound and finalising their lineup. Offering a slightly more amped-up counterpart to the sullen and emotive debut ‘Won’t Stay for Long’, ‘Is This the Place?’ reflects on feelings of displacement overlaid with a drifting and melodic, jazz infused chord progression, encompassing melancholic lyrics:

‘Never before have I felt such loss / is it life in the way, or is there more

It’s bumming me out and I’ve had enough / is it my turn to fall, or is it yours?’

Carrying this proposition through to its chorus, Fergus croons out about feeling lost amidst layers of cascading guitars, yet ultimately reassuring us that ‘it’ll be alright’. Dark in tone and content but offering optimism, the soulful and honest track rides a satisfying balance of emotion, delivering on big moments at its peak.

the soulful and honest track rides a satisfying balance of emotion

Speaking to Redbrick, Fergus looked back on the time of writing and recording over lockdown as one of mixed experiences –  emotionally challenging but also a unique chance to dive deep into his music. Being recorded at home with fellow bandmate, Jake Parsons, the DIY production style allowed the due to churn out an EPs worth of tracks imbued with personality ready for future release. An absorbing follow up to his debut single, continuing expectation builds for Channell’s impressive talent for songwriting. Sure to be a hit with fans of Puma Blue, Chartreuse or any other variant of dark-pop, ‘Is This The Place?’ marks a deftly produced and brilliantly written track.

‘Is This the Place’ is available now