Music Critic Darcy Brown reviews Loyle Carner’s new single, highlighting how the rapper explores his heritage with honesty and confidence on the track

Written by darcybrown

Loyle Carner fans can definitely say they have had a good summer as he released his second debut single ‘Georgetown’ on August 10th. In anticipation of his upcoming album Hugo, coming October 21st, the single reminds us of why Loyle Carner remains on top of the UK rap scene in this raw and personal statement of identity. Described in his Instagram post as “a thank you to those who came before, and a map for those who came after” we understand the significance this track has for Carner himself as well as his dedicated fanbase. To any newcomers, there has never been a better time to discover his music as ‘Georgetown’ serves as the perfect introduction to who he is as an artist.

…‘Georgetown’ serves as the perfect introduction to who he is as an artist.

Between his latest singles, ‘Georgetown’ and ‘Hate’, and his previous work, the 27-year-old rapper has taken on a much more deliberate focus on race. Working with literary legend John Agard on this track is more than just a flex of his notability or timeless appeal, it allows him to delve deeper into his biracial identity. Loyle Carner shares the same British-Guyanese heritage as the poet whose famous poem ‘Half Caste’ frames the song. Adapting one of the lines, the chorus is made up of the lyrics “Yeah, I’m black like the key on the piano / White like the keys on the piano” which he spits with pride.

In an interview with The Guardian, he explains how his distant relationship with his father meant he was only familiar with the white side of his family. He has recently tried to grapple with his Back identity more and understand, he said, “where I sit in the world as a black man”. The capital of Guyana, Georgetown, became the location of the music video and the inspiration for a reconnection with himself which filters through his lyrics. It’s as if this new introspection has also strengthened his love for making music. He explains how he got into ‘MCing’ from a young age and the effect it has had on him in my favourite line: “This s**t that fills the pain as the wisdom spits / Out of the ink and drip, the feels of the wings unclipped”.

His manipulation of language with his mastery of flow only seems to be strengthened by his new sense of confidence in his identity.

The track, produced by 90s hip-hop legend Madlib, contains an energy that pushes toward an epiphanic excitement. The short sample at the beginning of the track comes from Cyrano de Bergerac’s ‘No thank you’ speech in which the character announces his pride in being a Romantic and refuses the approval of others to reach his artistic potential. It’s as if Loyle Carner is replicating this, re-establishing himself by reminding us that he got this far on his own and he is onto something greater. As an artist, he seems to have reconnected with a sense of purpose and clarity. He says “S-O-B-E-R, I take a breather / Pink lungs, yo, I got my mind looking cleaner”, suggesting his sobriety may have inspired some of his new work.

‘Georgetown’, with all its lyrical complexity, is a simple answer to finding out who Loyle Carner is and why you should listen to him. His manipulation of language with his mastery of flow only seems to be strengthened by his new sense of confidence in his identity. It brings more urgency, complexity and humanity to his work and the topics he has chosen to focus on as we can see in this track. I only wish it was longer.

Enjoyed This? You might also enjoy:

Summer Songs Playlist

Essential Album: Loyle Carner – Not Waving, But Drowning

Single Review: Gorillaz – New Gold