News Reporter Ellen Knight speaks to Balraj Jhooty about his petition to increase forced migrant scholarships at UoB

News Editor

The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) defines forced migration as ‘displace[ment] due to conflict or persecution.’ Universities across the UK offer scholarships to these displaced people; from four at the University of Glasgow to eight at King’s College London. However, the University of Birmingham (UoB) – despite being of a similar size and scope to Glasgow and King’s College – only offers one scholarship. Observing this imbalance, Balraj Jhooty, an undergraduate French and History student and Campaigns Officer for Student Action for Refugees has set up a petition calling on UoB to expand its scholarship offer.

We had lost everything, we had no money, no rights and I couldn’t speak English

In the petition, Jhooty observes that, ‘we [the undersigned] believe it is necessary to […] [expand] the number of scholarships available from 1 per year to 5 per year, bringing [UoB] in line with other universities across the country,’ and that ‘postgraduate students should be allowed to apply for this scholarship.’ The petition notes that this proposal is equal to just 0.03% of the University’s annual budget, and points out that Newman University, also in Birmingham, offers two scholarships despite its smaller budget.

The campaign has drawn upon the experiences of scholarship recipients, too. 

Fatima (name changed to protect her anonymity), a scholar at another UK university, fled from Syria to a refugee camp in Jordan, going on to seek a safe haven in Greece before arriving in the UK. Reflecting on the experience of moving here, she said:

‘I have experienced stigma and prejudice. I suffered from depression and anxiety. My life became a vicious circle. We had lost everything, we had no money, no rights and I couldn’t speak English. I then realised that nothing was going to change if I don’t motivate myself. I started to learn English and apply to Universities.’

She successfully applied for a scholarship aimed at forced migrants, and believes that this opportunity has given her new life.

‘I can’t describe how grateful I am to the University for offering me a Sanctuary Scholarship, to support my almost forgotten dream to go to University as it was cut short when war broke out in Syria. I feel welcome and happy.’

Fatima’s story is just one of many, and we believe more forced migrants like her deserve the chance to study in the UK.

Speaking to Redbrick, Jhooty explained the importance of the petition; ‘The petition to expand scholarships for forced migrants at UoB is vital because university offers unique advantages which allow for the better inclusion of forced migrants into society,’ observing that, ‘in getting a degree, [recipients] will also be better qualified for the world of work. Other inclusionary measures do not offer these same advantages to the level that university study does.’

Jhooty also hopes to gain staff support to ensure lasting change; ‘Dawn Murray, the Refugee and Migration Engagement Officer at the council, is leading a campaign to make the University of Birmingham a University of Sanctuary.’

Other inclusionary measures do not offer these same advantages to the level that university study does

‘To achieve this accreditation, it would have to follow a set of requirements which would make the university a more inclusive place for forced migrants. […] This campaign is in its infancy, but once it makes its way to senior staff at UoB, I believe they will find it worthwhile to support.’

Looking to the future, Jhooty plans to work with the Guild to maximise the petition’s impact; ‘Jules Singh, a Guild Officer who I once worked with under the ParliaMentors scheme, has told me that if I amass enough signatures, he can help set up a meeting with UoB to discuss implementing the demands of the petition.’ Speaking realistically, Jhooty is aware that increasing signatories is vital to the petition’s success, ‘I would very much like to speak to the Vice-Chancellor sooner rather than later, but I am aware that I need a good student mandate to make such a meeting worthwhile.’

Nonetheless, there is no possibility of a deal to be struck with the Vice-Chancellor. ‘I consider myself unwilling to compromise in that 5 scholarships per year is certainly a financially viable demand, and not an unrealistic upper target from which my intention is to negotiate. It is a calculated and appropriate demand, put forward sincerely and directly.’

5 scholarships per year is certainly a financially viable demand

In closing, Jhooty is keen to urge students to sign the petition, ‘while in great need of support, forced migrants only compose a small portion of the student community, and so it is easier for their voices to go unheard. We must come together as a community to help our fellow prospective students out by expanding provision of scholarships for them.’

To sign the petition to increase UoB’s scholarships for forced migrants, click here.

Liked this article? Here are some more from Redbrick News:

Gavin Williamson: Could the Education Secretary Lose his Job Following a Rumoured Cabinet Reshuffle?

Walk-In Testing Site Opens at The Duck and Scholar

The S’Oak to Close Leaving Jobs at Risk