Cerys Gardner reports on the high salaries vice-chancellors receive across UK universities

Written by Cerys Gardner

Within the Russell Group, which is the group of elite UK universities, pay has increased in the last year for 11 out of 24 bosses. This is despite a crackdown on six-figure salaries and criticism from staff and students. 

The average amount earned for a vice-chancellor from pay and benefits is £380,000. Alice Gast, president at Imperial College London, has the highest salary, earning £554,000

A number of the pay rises given were above inflation. Hugh Brady, vice-chancellor at the University of Bristol, had his pay increase from £373,000 to £382,000, a 2.4 percent rise. 

Sir David Eastwood, the University of Birmingham’s vice-chancellor got £450,000 in 2018-19, a £6,000 increase on the previous year. The consumer prices index was 1.3 per cent in December 2019. 

This news comes after staff went on strike for eight days last term over pay, working conditions and pensions. It was the second wave of strikes in two years. 

Jo Grady, general secretary of the Universities and Colleges Union, told The Independent: ‘University staff are not going to be lectured on austerity or the necessity to hold down pay, worsen conditions and increase pension contributions by out of touch vice-chancellors whose own recent record on pay and perks has shamed the higher education sector. Staff have simply had enough and that is why they walked out on strike before Christmas, and are prepared to do so again if vice-chancellors continue to deny them fair pay and decent conditions.’

University staff are not going to be lectured on austerity…by out of touch vice-chancellors

Some universities have cut pay for new vice-chancellors, since six-figure salaries have been under scrutiny. At the University of Southampton, Sir Christopher Snowden earned £423,000 a year, and thousands of students called for his pay to be cut. 

His replacement, Mark Smith, is on £287,000. Tim Bradshaw, chief executive of the Russell Group, gave a statement to The Independent, saying that ‘Russell Group universities make a major contribution to the UK economy, society and culture, and it is vital that our members can attract and retain those with the right skills and experience to lead increasingly large, complex global operations. However, we recognise the importance of maintaining the confidence of staff, students and the wider public over senior pay.’