Michelle Donelan, the Minister of State for Universities, has refused to implement a reduction in fees for courses affected by the coronavirus pandemic

Written by Erin Osgood
BA American and Canadian Studies and English, interested in politics and culture
Images by Ugur Akdemir

Speaking to a committee of MPs, Donelan said: ‘I have been very clear with universities, I expect the quality to be there and the standards to be there – it’s important to note that often online learning is more expensive than traditional learning if done correctly and if done innovatively.’

‘I do not accept that across the board, the situation is that students are getting poor quality learning, in fact we’re seeing innovative examples.’

Many students have had to switch to learning almost entirely online due to social distancing restrictions enacted by the UK government and universities. University of Birmingham (UoB) students have been sharing their thoughts about the quality of learning they are receiving, and whether or not they feel entitled to a partial refund of fees due to the disruption.

Molly Chipperfield, final year American and Canadian Studies and English student, has had all of her contact hours moved online. In response to the universities minister’s statement, she said: ‘In your first year of university, every tutor tells you that online content will never be as good as attending lectures in person. But now we’re being told that Zoom lectures and seminars are just as good if not better – it doesn’t make any sense. I don’t understand how they can say we’re receiving an education worth £9250.’

I don’t understand how they can say we’re receiving an education worth £9250

She has also had technical difficulties. ‘Panopto crashed for a few hours one day, and it just called into question how prepared the university is for online learning.’

Canvas has also been down for maintenance purposes affecting potentially thousands of students.

Engineering student Joe Rubens has also been frustrated at the disruption: ‘Even with 6 months to prepare, the uni didn’t provide me with a timetable until the day of term starting. There were lots of clashes and changes over the first couple of weeks, to the point that I have to get up in the morning and check my emails to find out what on earth I’m studying today.’

‘Most of my course this year is project based work, which becomes very difficult when the computer sessions are at a capacity of 50-70 people, with 200 on my course, so there’s no point in even attempting to go to campus these days.’

For some, the situation has been so bad that university was no longer an option. Milly Campbell enrolled as a first year Theoretical Physics student in September, but has since made the decision to drop out, calling the experience ‘frightening, depressing and incredibly disappointing.’

‘I was certain that the university leaders would provide freshers with an enjoyable and friendly welcome, despite the circumstances. However, in just the two weeks I was there, I was harshly reminded that the university leaders’ priorities lie not with our mental wellbeing nor the quality of our education, but with the fees we provide them with.’ 

A letter demanding a fee reduction has now been proposed on the community ‘Fab N Fresh’ Facebook page. The university has not commented. 

Like this article? Here are more from News: 

University Applications Hit Record High Despite Pandemic

Second Wave of COVID-19 ‘likely’ in West Midlands

Revealed: How UoB Let Down its Student Workforce During Lockdown