Music Critic, Sammy Andrews, reviews Joesef’s soulful EP. Sprinkled with moments of melancholy and amidst upbeat pop, the Glaswegian’s Jazz-styled record makes for a charming set of songs

MA Shakespeare Studies student
Images by Umberto Cofini

Glasgow artist Joesef is an up-and-coming singer and songwriter that definitely has a lot to offer. His new EP Does It Make You Feel Good? is rooted in its smooth, jazz influenced yet pop in sound and feel. Each song is a romantic expression that explores a tumultuous relationship. It is an intimate EP that demonstrates melancholia, joy and a sombre take on love, all whilst balancing intense vulnerability and musicality.

It is an intimate EP that demonstrates melancholia, joy and a sombre take on love, all whilst balancing intense vulnerability and musicality

Overall, the EP is a cohesive piece that displays all of the wistful charm of Joesef’s dreamy sound. The opening track ‘Everything Belongs to You’ opens the EP with a melancholic piano and the echoing of Joesef’s swooning vocals. A song about realising the toxicity of a relationship, it opens the EP on a highly vulnerable note. As the tracked drumbeat enters, the balancing of traditional jazz inspired instrumentation with modern pop production cements the overarching sound of the EP. This fusion is a fresh take on a modern pop sound, whilst allowing the vulnerability of these themes to shine. Yet, the EP does not always entirely dwell on its melancholia. Songs such as ‘The Sun is Up Forever’ and ‘Think That I Don’t Need Your Love’ are uplifting melodic affirmations of self- assurance. The introduction of trumpets and the basslines add a certain sense of joy to these songs. Whilst the lyrics remain intimate and personal, the instrumentation lends itself towards sunny and smooth pop. In the title track ‘Does it Make You Feel Good?’, Joesef combines pervious ideas of a broken-hearted vulnerability with this upbeat pop leaning sound. There is definitely a sense of emotional heaviness that is an essential feature of this EP, but it does stray away in moments from becoming too burdened by this.

Perhaps the standout moment of the EP, however, is Joesef’s collaboration with Loyle Carner on ‘I Wonder Why.’ A song about isolation, longing and unfulfilled desire, each lyrical thread is highly poignant and filled with emotional intensity. The smooth echoing of harmonies behind Joesef’s vocals in the chorus layered with gentle pianos and drum tracks perfectly bridges the sound of the EP. Carner’s verse is an extremely special and vulnerable moment as he laments the darkness of watching a loved one struggle with substance abuse. The lyricism of ‘I Wonder Why’ is beautiful and poignant, and the elegance of its instrumentation further lifts this song.

each lyrical thread is highly poignant and filled with emotional intensity

This vulnerable lyricism remains throughout, following into the closing song ‘Comedown.’ The EP closes on a note of brokenness in its reflection upon longing and nostalgia. The song begins with solely a guitar pattern and Joesef’s fragile vocals, and slowly builds into a beautiful orchestration of violins and vocal harmonies. It is perhaps the most simplistic song on the EP and yet it is really special because of this. It closes Does It Make You Feel Good? on a sombre note, but also a delicate one.

Overall, Does It Make You Feel Good? is a really charming set of songs. It rises and falls in the perfect places and does not allow itself to become too heavily burdened by its often sadness. Each musical influence is lifted to a fresh place, and overall the smooth and wistful sound perfectly complements Joesef’s lyricism and vocals.

Does It Make You Feel Good? is available now via Bold Cut

You Might Also Like: 

Black History Month: Celebrating Black Artists

EP Review: Rosie Shaw- Sometime Soon

Redbrick Meets: Bastille 

Album Review: Future Islands – As Long As You Are