Music Critic Mia Lynam reviews Laufey’s sophomore album, praising its jazz-centric meditations on the complexity of young love.

Written by Mia Lynam
UoB English and Creative Writing Student!

Laufey is an Icelandic-Chinese artist who debuted in 2021 with her EP Typical of Me, and has now released her second full album following 2022’s Everything I Know About Love and a collection of previous songs rerecorded with the Iceland Symphony Orchestra. Her musical talent is multifaceted, much like the style of music she composes – and ‘composes’ is a much more appropriate verb than ‘writes,’ with the amount of emotion sequestered into each of the songs on her new album Bewitched.

Her musical talent is multifaceted, much like the style of music she composes

‘Dreamer’ is the opening track on the album, and immediately transforms the listener into just that. I believe this might be the first time I have ever used the words ‘dulcet tones’ to describe a singer and meant it without a lick of sarcasm. Describing the feelings this song elicits is difficult, but the emotions blend together seamlessly, creating an ode to the complexity of the young adult in love. It transitions into ‘Second Best,’ a more melancholic outlook on yearning that fortunately will not leave a lovesick listener in tears, but instead provide the relatable feeling of forlorn acceptance.

The album is cohesive and consistent, though the similarity between songs makes some tracks, such as ‘Serendipity’ and ‘Promise,’ fall (only ever so slightly) into the background. Listening to the songs on their own, however, provides a more intimate listening experience that enables you to appreciate all of the songs on the album individually, as well as part of an extended piece of art. In the caption of their YouTube video  ‘Laufey “From the Start” Official Lyrics & Meaning | Verified,’ Genius describes Laufey’s new album as ‘a frothy mix of jazz and bossa nova that definitely stands out in today’s pop landscape,’ and ‘From The Start’ is the best example of this. The sounds frequent many social media videos, and seems to be the most advertised, potentially due to the more upbeat instrumental on the song that appeals to a wider audience.

Whilst ‘Bewitched,’ the titular song on the album, captures the album’s essence through the lyrics, ‘Misty’ might be one of my favourites for its overall sound. I think it encapsulates not only the whole tone of Bewitched but also what Laufey does best: showing us the feeling of falling in love. The notes clink together like glasses at a busy restaurant, a surprising noise that fits perfectly with its surroundings.

The notes clink together like glasses at a busy restaurant

The whole album is a lullaby playing out at the end of a soft rom-com, and reminds me of the cusp of autumn; longing, loving, and learning. You cannot help but compare certain parts to things you already know, with the opening notes of ‘While You Were Sleeping’ reminiscent of the instrumental and harmonious notes of ‘White Winter Hymnal’ by Fleet Foxes, and the beginning of ‘Nocturne (Interlude)’ almost seems like an accelerated version of ‘Mia & Sebastian’s Theme’ from jazz-centric romance staple movie La La Land. With the mind drawn to other seminal works of romance and nostalgia, it is no surprise that she has recently broken the record as the biggest jazz album debut in Spotify history. I truly believe that Laufey will bring jazz to the modern era, and become a fixture in the genre’s hall of fame.

Enjoyed this? You might also enjoy:

Live Review: Gracie Abrams

Album Review: The Land Is Inhospitable And So Are We

Redbrick Meets: Squid