Georgia Brooks shares her delicious soup recipe to help you through the long winter nights

Written by Georgia Brooks

With the colder weather and the return to Uni for semester two, a warming and nourishing soup is the perfect easy lunch to take with you to campus, and soup as a vehicle is so adaptable that it suits whatever you happen to have in the cupboard, or is on sale in Aldi.

A warming and nourishing soup

Here I have gone for sweet potato and paprika soup (having roasted it already to use in a salad), but honestly the versatility of soup means that it is perfect for using up whatever you have got to hand or fancy – maybe try some squash, leek and potato is a classic, cauliflower can be delicious! The general method still holds so unleash your creativity, finish up those leftovers and enjoy a nutritious meal. You will need some sort of blender or liquidiser to make this soup.

Sweet Potato, Paprika and Lime Soup

(about 2 servings, one for now and one for lunch tomorrow)

Ingredients:

1 large sweet potato

1 red onion

3 or 4 cloves of garlic

Paprika

Oil

Salt and Pepper

1 vegetable stock cube (or whatever stock you prefer)

1 lime

Some feta, pumpkin seeds, croutons, or whatever extras you feel like

1.Chop up the sweet potato and onion – the smaller you go, the quicker it will cook – add the garlic, a generous glug of olive oil, lots of paprika, salt and pepper, and mix it all together in a baking tray.

2.Place in an oven preheated to 200°C, and roast for 30 minutes, or until everything is looking golden and the sweet potato is soft, potentially mixing it all around halfway through.

3.Transfer the roasted veg to a saucepan over a medium heat, and add the vegetable stock, mixed up with freshly boiled water to the recommended proportions. I tend to add about 500ml of stock, but change this depending on how thick you want your soup, and remember that you can always add a bit more once you have pureed the soup if you want it a little less thick, as it can be hard to judge before mixing.

4.Bring the soup to the boil and then simmer for about 10 minutes.

5.Puree using a stick blender or whatever other means that you have.

6.Reheat if necessary, adjust the seasoning to taste and add more stock to change the texture, and serve with a generous squeeze of lime and whatever else you fancy adding!

Hungry For More? Look no Further:

Winter Warmer Recipe: Red Roasted Vegetable Soup

Recipe: Chicken and Leek Pie

Comfort Meal Recipe: Salmon Risotto