TV Writer Sophie Handler guides us through the shining highlights and questionable lowpoints of the latest season of RuPaul’s Drag Race UK

Written by Sophie Handler
Life&Style Editor and third year English student

After what felt like a rather short ten weeks, the third season of Rupaul’s Drag Race UK has come to an end after crowning its next winner. However, after a season packed with strange twists and turns that left many unsettled, fans have been left with very mixed feelings about the recent instalment of the show.

Having followed on from season two of Drag Race UK, which has become is of the most well-loved seasons in the history of the show, season three was already set up for some form of failure having such big shoes to fill

Having followed on from season two of Drag Race UK, which has become is of the most well-loved seasons in the history of the show, season three was already set up for some form of failure having such big shoes to fill. There was controversy before episodes even began to air, mainly due to the disappointing lack of diversity within the cast. Despite all of this, an impressive premiering episode provided fans with high hopes for the season ahead. In addition to the incredible outfits and lip-syncs displayed by the queens so early on, the well-loved Victoria Scone was already being shown as one of the season’s front runners. Scone provided another unique reason to love this season, being the first cisgender AFAB queen in the entire Drag Race franchise to date, offering hope at more inclusive casting in the future.

Although having a promising start, the season seemed to begin to go slightly downhill. Coincidence or not, following the saddening departure of Victoria due to a knee injury, episodes started to take somewhat of a strange turn. The following episode which featured an outdoor-themed sewing challenge came across as lacklustre and flat, with questionable judging choices resulting in many fan favourites being overlooked and deemed ‘safe’. The issue of favouritism within the judging from RuPaul seemed increasingly evident as the episodes went on when becoming especially taken to 19-year-old Krystal Versace. While being an undoubtedly talented drag queen, the consistent expression of affection that was shown towards her by RuPaul began to feel uncomfortable amongst many viewers, especially as other queens began to be put in lower placements than necessary in what seemed like a production-driven attempt to save others.

The issue of favouritism within the judging from RuPaul seemed increasingly evident as the episodes went on

On the topic of production, a number of shocking twists occurred throughout the season which resulted in many questioning the intentions of the behind-the-scenes crew. A key example of this was in the episode five acting challenge, where an unimpressed panel of judges announced that no one would win the challenge this week due to mediocre performances from everyone. This seemed wholly unnecessary and unfair to those who actually did rather well. The accompanying shock factor of the season was the double elimination of River Medway and Choriza May during the highly anticipated ‘Snatch Game’ episode. While their bottom placement was understandable, an arguably enjoyable performance combined with a confusing double save a few weeks prior left many outraged at the two remaining fan favourites’ abrupt exit.

Once down to the final few contestants, the episodes managed to pick themselves up again

Once down to the final few contestants, the episodes managed to pick themselves up again to the delight of those who were growing exhausted of the confusing season. A comedic acting challenge named ‘Bra Wars’, as well as an impressive musical performance from the final three (consisting of Ella Vaday, Kitty Scott Claus and Krystal Versace) provided some season highlights and allowed for everything to end on a high note. To end things off Krystal was deservingly crowned, becoming the youngest winner of the show to date.

While this season of Drag Race UK undoubtedly had its highlights and introduced us to numerous incredible drag queens, at times it became extremely difficult to look past the production-driven decisions. Many moments such as frequent harsh criticism towards certain queens, or questionably keeping some in the competition over others made some episodes very off-putting and hard to watch. The season was thankfully able to be saved at the last moment when the production meddling was toned down, and despite what some fans may think we have ended up with a deserving and talented winner. With season four now confirmed, we can all hope that these mistakes will be learned from, and perhaps even see a reappearance of Victoria Scone should she receive another chance to return.

Rating: 3.5/5

Can’t get enough of the latest reality TV? Check out more articles here:

Even The Fans Wanted The X Factor To Be Axed

LGBTQ+ Representation on Love Island: “Logistical Difficulties” and Empty Promises

Review: RuPaul’s Drag Race Down Under