The world-renowned anime studio, Studio Ghibli, crosses world cinema yet again, reports Film Critic Antonio Miguel Aguila

Final year English student obsessed with books and cinema

It is not surprising to see Studio Ghibli arrive on Netflix since it has a reputation of repeatedly breaking into foreign audiences. What is surprising is that it took so long for the acclaimed Japanese animation franchise to make it onto the famous streaming platform. Nevertheless, it is a huge delight to see the works of Takahata, Niwa, Sakaguchi, Yoshida, Kondou, Yonebayashi and Ando as well as the one and only Hayao Miyazaki, make themselves available for our viewing pleasure. From the Japanese cinemas across the oceans to our TVs and laptops, this is another step for Studio Ghibli to make itself known as it enters straight into our homes. After the year starting off with a volcano eruption in the Philippines, Trump’s impeachment, Harry and Meghan leaving the royal family, Australia burning to ashes, a killer virus emerging in China and a potential finale to the World War trilogy, Studio Ghibli has offered itself to us as the best way to start the new chapter of February.

I have been a big fan of Studio Ghibli ever since I was young. I am incredibly grateful for these cinematic fairy tales because the messages that carry forth from them are impeccable. Studio Ghibli has exceptional ability when it comes to conjuring magic into normal, everyday life. Other films can make you glad to be alive but not as much as these ones. In the world of animation, Studio Ghibli created a monopoly with its talented masterpieces. Even after Miyazaki’s retirement, other studios are still trying to play catch up. But in some cases they are even looking to surpass him, not without his influence and inspiration, of course. Pixar have been stepping up their game, with Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse serving as a living breathing comic book and paved a new path for comic-book film animation, Aardman still creates great films. However, the most obvious candidate to look out for has already been hailed as the next Miyazaki. This is none other than Makoto Shinkai. As harsh as it might seem to call him the next Miyazaki, it only shows how much of a shadow Miyazaki has cast onto animation, and as fascinating as it is to watch the other contenders compete in the golden age of animation let us not forget the original winner who set the bar in the first place (sorry, Satoshi Ken).

It is a huge delight to see the works of [Studio Ghibli’s filmmakers] make themselves available for our viewing pleasure

Now, let’s actually talk about the films! The first of the beloved main four is Spirited Away, Studio Ghibli’s iconic film with which they made their splash into world cinema, winning the 2002 Academy Award for Best Animated Feature. Spirited Away’s Alice in Wonderland journey encapsulates the retaining of identity and humanity against the loss of cultural tradition and all-encompassing process of commodification. Next, Howl’s Moving Castle is adapted from a Dianne Wynne-Jones novel that brings to life its fantastical adventure of a wizard, cursed woman, talking fire, evil witch and, of course, the moving castle. It is romantic, enigmatic and beautiful and was nominated in 2005 for Best Animated Feature. Princess Mononoke is heralded as one of the best eco-films about lost origins and humans’ position in the natural world, as well as a wolf girl with a bloodstained mouth ready to kill anyone wanting to destroy her sacred forest. Lastly is Grave of the Fireflies, a tear-jerking take on the devastating after-effects of war as well as following two innocent children trying to find their father.

It is unfair to mainly discuss these films, as each one of the 21 films pulse with their own life, and many of these other excluded works may find a personal place in your heart. All of these films are ambitious, gorgeous works with the best animation quality in the business, mesmerising scores, wonderful scripts and voice acting, one-of-a-kind ideas and concepts. More than a franchise, Studio Ghibli has a unique identity. Its cinema hosts mainly female, nuanced, well-written characters in dream-like adventures, typically entangled with themes of politics, coming-of-age, environmentalism, Japanese culture, children’s creativity and imagination, and humanity. Its writers, animators, directors and so on have perfected magical realism and if you like those types of works you might want to visit Kiki’s Delivery Service. For daydreaming writers, Whisper of the Heart. For those wanting a light-heated nostalgic dream, My Neighbour Totoro. For those wanting to know the role raccoons played in Japanese folklore, Pom Poko. For those wanting darker themes, When Marnie Was There, which was nominated in 2015 for Best Animated Feature. For those wanting a British classic returned from overseas, The Secret World of Arrietty. For those just in it for the dazzling, hand-drawn animation, Tale of Princess Kaguya, which was nominated in 2014 for Best Animated Feature.  Perhaps you are already acquainted with the franchise and want to revisit arguably its most personal one, The Wind Rises, which in 2013 was nominated for Best Animated Feature. Miyazaki has a very pessimistic view on modern life with its variety of shallow, fake antics. Throughout his films he put his faith in the imaginations and innocence of children who tend to overcome the past generation.

Miyazaki has a profoundly truthful and unique perspective

Miyazaki has a profoundly truthful and unique perspective, evident when he said ‘I want to portray a slightly different relationship, one where the two mutually inspire each other to live – if I’m able to, then perhaps I’ll be closer to portraying a true expression of love.’ His films are romantic without them being romances, fantastical without being high-fantasy, mature yet still entertaining for child audiences, and not distracted with the hubbub of artificial modern life, instead searching for something truly authentic. There is never a wrong time to watch Studio Ghibli. In dark times it makes you glad to be alive. In lighter times it makes you glad to be alive. It is no wonder it has managed to break into the mainstream. Although it has been repeatedly snubbed for best animated feature in the past, you can now watch and see how deserving these films are of their reputation. It is cinema that makes you feel privileged to be its viewer. If you haven’t already tried out these films, you won’t regret it. They are all now at your disposal.

For more animated delights, take a look at Redbrick Film’s favourite recent animation releases:

Review: I Lost My Body

Review: Weathering With You

Review: Cats

Review: Klaus

Review: Frozen II