Life&Style Writer Alys Lloyd talks us through Birmigham’s cocktail scene

English and History Student

Whether it’s a casual drinks night with the girls, a first-date or a celebratory pre-drinking event, Birmingham definitely has a bar to suit every occasion. However, with Birmingham being the second biggest city in the UK, it’s easy to become overwhelmed by the sheer amount of choice the city has to offer. To help make your choice a little bit easier, I’ve narrowed it down to ten cocktail bars that you have to try whilst in Birmingham. From cheap and cheerful to your more pricey locations, I’ve got it covered.

1. The Country Girl, Raddlebarn Road- ££
Located on Raddlebarn Road, The Country Girl is only a short walk away from most student houses in Selly Oak. With the website advocating the slogan ‘whatever the weather, there’s always time for a classic cocktail’, this cheerful pub is definitely one to head to for some good deals on some delicious drinks. What’s more, happy hour takes places every day from 5pm onwards with two cocktails only costing you £7.50.

2. Turtle Bay, John Bright Street- ££
If you live near a city at home it’s more than likely that you’ve heard of Turtle Bay before. This Caribbean restaurant/bar offers amazing deals on some seriously good cocktails. The vibe of this pub is also really nice, with welcoming fairy lights, beach shacks and mismatched furniture. Most importantly, every day is happy hour so you can enjoy double the pleasure seven days a week from midday till 7pm and 10pm until close!

3. The Slug and Lettuce, Brindley Place- ££
In a similar vein to Turtle Bay, the Slug and Lettuce is definitely a well-known location for a good cocktail. Although both the Slug and Lettuce and Turtle Bay are both chains, they offer the reassurance that you are going to get a good cocktail for a good price. Situated in the canal-side development of Brindley Place, the Slug and Lettuce is the perfect place to go for both relaxed drinks in the day and more upbeat cocktails in the evening. 2-4-1 deals are available every day and they even offer special sharing cocktails, including the infamous ‘pornstar martini tree’, a staple for any girls night out!

4. All Bar One, Brindley Place- ££
Sticking with the chain theme (I promise we’ll get to some individual bars soon) All Bar One is another staple place for some good drinks deals. Situated in Brindley Place, All Bar One offers an affordable place for cocktails within a scenic setting next to the canal. Every Sunday to Thursday, from 5pm until late, the bar has ‘5 o’Clocktails’ where a variety of cocktails will only cost you £5.

5. The Button Factory, Frederick Street- ££
Finally, some individual bars! Located in the Jewellery Quarter, the Button Factory is a super unique bar/restaurant to visit. As the name would suggest, the building used to be a Victorian button factory, how cool is that? Cocktails range from £7-£9 and they also do four-person pitchers for £24, meaning it’s only £6 each. They even have a roof garden too, perfect for summer time drinks.

6. The Rose Villa Tavern, Warstone Lane- ££
Based in a Grade II listed building, the Rose Villa Tavern is a charming pub situated in the Jewellery Quarter. The Jewellery Quarter is an amazing place to visit in general, with the area being home to more than 100 retailers, diamond dealers and workshops. What’s more, it’s only a short tram ride away from New Street Station. The Rose Villa Tavern is a beautifully decorated urban pub offering an incredible line-up of craft cocktails. Moreover, happy hour, where you can get two drinks for £9, runs Monday to Thursday 4pm-7pm and 4pm-close on Fridays and all weekend.

7. Revolution de Cuba, Temple Street- ££
Located on Temple Street, only a short three minute walk away from New Street Station, Revolution de Cuba offers incredible deals on a number of exotic cocktails. Their menu covers everything from the classic mojito to more unique concoctions using more unusual spirits. Happy hour deals run from 3pm-7pm Monday to Friday and from 5-7pm on a Saturday. All cocktails are 2-4-1 during this time and their iconic sharing teapots, where your drinks are literally served in a teapot, are only £12.

8. The Botanist, Temple Street- ££
The Botanist is one to head to if you’re looking for a more sophisticated drinking experience. Located on Temple Street, again only a short walk away from New Street Station, the Botanist is a stunning venue that offers a huge variety of drinks and experiences. For example, on Friday and Saturdays between 12pm-3pm you can ‘shake, stir and sip your way through a cocktail masterclass’ for £24.95 per person, definitely something to look into for birthday celebrations. General cocktail prices range from £6-£10 with sharing cocktails also on offer.

9. The Gin Vault, Brindley Place- ££
The Gin Vault is a relatively new basement canal-side bar located between Brindley place and The Mail Box. Bar Manager Matt Sharp described the bar as ‘independent and a bit quirky’ and believes the bar will offer ‘something different’ to Brindley Place. The bar is also described as somewhere you would just ‘stumble across’ as the entrance is hidden away beneath canal bridges. With live music acts on every weekend, this is definitely one to keep in mind for special occasions.

10. The Alchemist, Brindley Place- £££
Finally, the Alchemist is a well-known fancy location for some seriously impressive cocktails. As the name suggests, the drinks all centre around chemistry and alchemy. The cocktails on offer all have their own unique ‘magical’ qualities, including drinks that change colour, bubble and even explode. Although pricey, the Alchemist definitely offers more of a ‘drinking experience’ (and some seriously good Instagram stories).