Music Critic Charis Gambon runs through the artists cancelling their shows in light of the current Russia-Ukraine situation

Written by charisGambon

In response to the Russian invasion of Ukraine many artists within the music business are protesting the violence by cancelling their upcoming concerts within Russia.  We will look into these artists who have cancelled their Russian shows within this piece and will provide their reasoning.

KORN

In a statement released on the bands twitter account on 17th March Korn stated that they would no longer be playing their gigs within Russia or Ukraine due to the ‘ongoing situation.’ They also stated that they will be standing in solidarity with Ukraine. Fans were incredibly positive about the bands statement and expressed that they were ‘proud’ of Korn for publicly stating that they stand with Ukraine.

My Chemical Romance

They would no longer be playing their gigs within Russia or Ukraine

In a statement released on the bands Instagram account on 7th March My Chemical Romance stated that they would no longer be playing their gigs within Russia or Ukraine. They did however not express any support for Ukraine. Comments on the post were limited by the account.

Iron Maiden

In a statement released on the bands twitter on 3rd March Iron Maiden stated that they would no longer be playing their gigs within Moscow and Kyiv due to the ‘ongoing situation.’ They did not express any support for Ukraine and have received some criticism from fans for referring to the Russian Invasion of Ukraine as an ‘ongoing situation.’ Fans also did not like that it was stated ‘the promoters’ cancelled the tour as they saw it as a way to avoid stating that the band supported Ukraine.

Louis Tomlinson

Fans and the media have praised Tomlinson for his humanitarian view

In a statement released on the artists twitter on 28th February Louis Tomlinson stated that he would no longer be playing his gigs within Moscow and Kyiv. Fans and the media have praised Tomlinson for his humanitarian view as he provided support for Ukraine when he stated that ‘my thoughts go to the people of Ukraine and all those suffering within this needless war.’ Tomlinson handled the cancelling statement with a high level of empathy and maturity.

Yungblud

In a statement released on the artists twitter on 28th February  Yungblud stated that he would no longer be playing his gigs in Russia. Fans and media have praised Yungblud for his humanitarian view as they stated that ‘I know the vicious and brutal acts of the Russian regime in Ukraine over the past week do not reflect the attitudes and ideals of the beautiful people who I have meet in Russia in the past.’ The sentence poses as a reminder to fans of the band that they should not throw abuse at the average Russian citizen.  He also added that ‘my heart is with you’ as a humanitarian message to the Ukrainian people.  Yungblud handled the cancelling statement with a high level of empathy and maturity.

AJR

AJR handled their cancelling statement with a high level of empathy and maturity

In a statement released on the bands twitter on 25th February AJR stated that they would no longer be playing their gigs within Russia. They thanked Russian fans who ‘oppose their country’s unprovoked and criminal behaviour.’ Demonstrating that the average Russian citizen did not choose to invade Ukraine and that a majority of Russian people are campaigning for their country to withdraw from Ukraine.  AJR then added ‘our hearts are with the people of Ukraine.’ Demonstrating through a humanitarian message that they support the Ukrainian people. They then finished off with such a crucially important message ‘at this point the best thing you can do is to share accurate information.’ AJR handled their cancelling statement with a high level of empathy and maturity and have received praise from fans and media.

There are numerous other bands and artists who have cancelled their Russian and Ukraine shows due to the Russian invasion. Some of the artists and bands have produced well thought out, empathetic and mature statements while others could have put more thought into the language and words they choose to use in their statement. However overall every band on this list and further bands who are not discussed within this piece have all cancelled their shows due to understanding the Ukrainian-Russian war.

Redbrick Meets: Sea Girls

Redbrick Meets: Mae Muller

Eight Songs to Listen to Right Now