Food and Drink Editors Harriet Laban, Gabrielle Taylor-Dowson and Beth Sadler give us their favourite food spots – from low to high budget – in and around Birmingham

Coffee Shops and Cafés: £

You really don’t have to go far to experience some great places to eat in Birmingham, and the University’s campus is the perfect starting point. There are several Costa outlets and a Starbucks and cafes in nearly every main building which is very helpful for grabbing a sandwich on the way to lectures. The library café is also a lovely place to stop to eat. It serves fresh soup, paninis, and a selection of cakes daily.

Joe’s Bar: ££

Joe’s Bar has a wide variety of meals, offering everything from battered halloumi to pizza for when you fancy something more substantial but want to keep things chilled. Brook’s Sports Bar at Bournebrook is also a great option; watch the football with a pint, whilst tucking into a bacon and avocado burger, or even a vegan hummus platter.

Joe’s Bar has a wide variety of meals, offering everything from battered halloumi to pizza

Cuore: £££

At the top end of campus’ food outlets is Cuore, the Green Heart’s tapas restaurant. The food here is wonderfully fresh and there are dishes to suit every dietary requirement. Although a little pricier than other places on campus, it is reasonable for the quantity and quality of food, certainly making it worth a try! A final thing to note for all the freshers on meal plan is that you can use credit on most of campus outlets. This is a great way to explore what there is on offer, be it a lunch from Wok Fresh, a hot chocolate in the library, or a plate of curly fries in Joe’s after a long day of lectures. Campus has no shortage of affordable eats!

Falafel Munch: £

Vegetarian and meat-eating students alike all know the infamous vegan takeout that is Falafel Munch. For just three pounds, you can grab a huge falafel wrap that is not only seriously tasty but also very healthy.

Dilshad Restau: ££

It’s a friend’s birthday and you want to celebrate, but no one wants to splash the cash? Dilshad is a bring your own booze curry house on Bristol Road, only a fifteen -minute walk away from the Vale. Go classic with a Chicken Tikka Masala (and rice) for only £8.95, or hit the heat with a Vegetable Balti Jalfrezi for £6.95. What’s more, Dilshad offer a family sized naan that is perfect for sharing amongst friends.

The Bristol Pear: £££

Although relatively speaking it isn’t expensive, The Bristol Pear isn’t the cheapest place to go in Selly Oak, with a burger and a pint totalling £10.45. However, for £5.75 their full English breakfast is a must, particularly after a night out. And if you like the vibe but not the prices, head over on a Wednesday for 25p wings (chicken or cauliflower) to save money without skipping on flavour.

Grand Central Kitchen: £

Just around the corner from New Street Station, this spot is the pinnacle of good quality, cheap eats. Offering Subway-style meals including baguettes, sandwiches, paninis, hot wraps and jacket potatoes, it’s the perfect place to go for a catch-up. The staff are friendly, the dark-wood interior is cosy – and you can get an English breakfast for under a tenner.

Warehouse Café: ££

So good even meat-lovers will want to try it

Birmingham’s oldest vegetarian and vegan café (and bar!) can be found on Allison Street in Digbeth, just outside the Bullring, and it’s so good even meat-lovers will want to try it. The space it occupies is large and simple, with canteen-style chairs and tables, but the hearty and flavourful food more than makes up for what is lacking in interior design. The standouts on their menu are their range of burgers which can be made with either of their patties, the Original Bean Patty or No-Moo ‘Beef’ Patty – both are just as delicious.

Tattu: £££

Tattu delivers contemporary Chinese cuisine, fusing traditional flavours with modern cooking methods and exquisite presentation. While a splurge, their ‘Taste of Tattu’ menu – which offers two courses for £24 or three courses for £28 between 12pm – 4:45pm Monday to Friday, and 12pm – 3pm on Saturday and Sunday – makes this dining experience achievable. Despite being a chain, each Tattu is decorated differently, so you can be assured it’ll be both a unique and memorable experience.