Culture Writer Ilina Jha interviews Lucy Gray of Pride and Prejudice* (*sort of) and finds that the show expresses the joyful, light-hearted side of Austen’s work

Written by Ilina Jha

Hi Lucy! I absolutely loved coming to see Pride and Prejudice* (*sort of) on its opening night at the Birmingham Rep. For those who don’t know about the show, what is Pride and Prejudice* (*sort of) about and who do you play?

Pride and Prejudice* (*sort of) is a modern day retelling of the classic Jane Austen tale. It is five servants from the household telling the entire story. I play the servant of Tillie, but amongst that I also play Caroline and Charles Bingley, Charlotte Lucas, and we all do lots of multi-roling and wearing different things and running around on stage!

What is it that you love most about this production and being part of it?

What I love most about it is that it brings a lot of joy to the world. I think that there is absolutely a place for art that does questioning and is a bit more serious, but this play is just really joyful, and people come to it and they have the best time and they leave with a smile on their faces. And also, to be honest with you, we all get on so well that I get to turn up every day and have fun with my mates. It’s a really special thing.

It is full of song and light and laughter and I can guarantee you will be leaving with a smile on your face

You made your professional debut in Pride and Prejudice* (*sort of), and what a first show to be in! People have absolutely loved it, and it’s been so well-received. How does it feel to be contributing to the huge success of an Olivier-award-winning play right at the beginning of your career?

It’s really special, I feel so privileged. I graduated from drama school in 2021 (so during COVID times), and I was very uncertain about whether the [theatre] industry would even still be there. And then I got this gig, and it’s such a fantastic, special thing to be a part of so early on in my career. I feel a lot of pride!

You play four characters in this production, all of whom are very different! Do you have a favourite? How do you quickly get yourself into character during each change? 

I definitely have a favourite, and that’s Charlotte Lucas, I have a real soft spot for her. I love her because she’s a queer character. Isobel McArthur – the writer and co-director – chose to make this character queer, and it’s with great pride that I get to be that part every night. In terms of multi-roling and how I get into the characters, I worked out pretty early on that the best way to do it was with my hands. Different characters have got very specific ways that they gesture with their hands, and it means that right before I go on stage, every time I’m able to do something very quickly physically that allows me to be a different person.

I think that there is absolutely a place for art that does questioning and is a bit more serious

You’re sadly leaving Birmingham after Saturday to tour other venues in the UK. Where are you most looking forward to going?

That’s a really good question! To be honest, getting to see so much of the country has been one of the best things about this job. We’ve got Leeds next week – I’m really excited for Leeds. I’m really excited for Bristol, we’re going to be at the Old Vic in Bristol, which has been one of my dream theatres since I was a kid, so that’s amazing. Cornwall, that will be beautiful, and Malvern will be beautiful as well. And of course, we’re going to the gorgeous Blackpool, so pleasure beach, here I come!

What can audiences expect from Pride and Prejudice* (*sort of) and why should people come to see it?

I think you should come and see it because it’s a great night (or matinee, if you come to matinee). It is full of gags that people of every generation will love. It is full of song and light and laughter and I can guarantee you will be leaving with a smile on your face. And also, it’s a love story isn’t it, so it’s just lovely!

Finally, can you sum up the show in just three words?

I’m trying to think of something really clever here (and it won’t be!). Mad, Regency, Joy. That’s what you’re gonna get!

Enjoyed this? Read more from Redbrick Culture here! 

Theatre Review: Pride and Prejudice* (*sort of)

Theatre Review: Of Mice and Men

Comedy Review: Shazia Mirza – Coconut