Music Editor Hannah Gadd reviews Baby Queen in Birmingham, praising her mesmerising stage presence and describing the show as a ‘glitzy grunge-pop spectacle’

Baby Queen (Bella Latham) sold out the O2 Academy2 in Birmingham for a dazzling performance ahead of the release of Quarter Life Crisis– her debut album. This marks the rising anti-popstar’s second live appearance in Birmingham – the first being for Sonic Wave Festival – and her fanbase has grown massively in just a year and a half.

It was a short wait after the opening act, Viji, exited the stage before her band entered under flickering blue lights and snippets of Latham’s songs played. The band began playing the familiar sounds of ‘Quarter Life Crisis’ in front of a backdrop which depicts Baby Queen’s bedroom – imagery which is heavily attached to the upcoming album. Latham confidently strutted on to the stage as we are submerged in multi-coloured lights; her stage presence is captivating as she works through an electric run of hits, ‘Quarter Life Crisis’, ‘Kid Genius’ and ‘Dream Girl’. 

Neon lights, big synths and funky guitars gives the show an 80s-esque feel and immerses you into Baby Queen’s sparkling world

‘Today, my album comes out in one week exactly’ Latham tells the crowd, eliciting excited cheers from the crowd before transitioning into the infectious pop anthem ‘You Shaped Hole’. Neon lights, big synths and funky guitars gives the show an 80s-esque feel and immerses you into Baby Queen’s sparkling world. Descending from the stage, Latham joins fans for one of her newest singles, ‘23’, a song which details the singer’s experience with her sexuality and self-discovery. 

‘Every Time I Get High’ and ‘Love Killer’, two unreleased tracks from Quarter Life Crisis, follow; between songs Latham discussed her anxieties about how the show would be received without the album being out, ‘but it’s been a joy to see you experience these songs for the first time’. The high-energy crowd responded enthusiastically to irresistible hooks and Latham’s unique vocals, undoubtedly removing any worries about the tour’s reception. ‘Die Alone’ particularly showcases the singer’s polished vocals, even in the slower moments of Latham’s dynamic set, her stage presence is mesmerising. 

The perfectly sharp-edged, pessimistic pop anthem ‘Buzzkill’ was up next and proved to be a definite fan favourite

The perfectly sharp-edged, pessimistic pop anthem ‘Buzzkill’ was up next and proved to be a definite fan favourite. Latham opens up about the writing process of ‘A Letter To Myself at 17’, humorously sharing that making an album is ‘the worst experience ever’. Before playing the equally emotional song ‘Grow Up’, a tequila shot hilariously makes its way from the bar to Latham on stage, ‘Here’s to one week until the album!’ she cheers before taking the shot and continuing with the set. Her interactions with fans, from story-telling to shot-taking, always provide an extra layer of entertainment to her shows.

Old-favourites ‘Internet Religion’ and ‘Raw Thoughts’ see Latham jumping around the stage, basking in the show’s glittering atmosphere as she works her way through the exhilarating set. The pace is slowed by the heart-wrenching ‘Obvious’, and fans begin to shine their phone torches, a really heart-warming moment of the set. Latham thanks the crowd for giving it their all and shares how appreciative she is that people have invested their time and money into the show, ‘I know how much concert tickets can be in this economy’ she says. 

The newest single from Quarter Life Crisis, ‘I Can’t Get My Sh*t Together’, was a full-throttle performance, the crowd jumping with Latham throughout the perfectly chaotic chorus. ‘Euphoric’ is the only word I can use to accurately describe the energy inside the O2 Academy as the thumping drums of ‘Dover Beach’ kick in. Upbeat and vibrant, the crowd gives Latham the liveliness she deserves, yelling the poetic lyrics back at her when prompted. 

Baby Queen’s band must be applauded for their flawless musicality and raw talent, they sit as the beating heart of a glitzy grunge-pop spectacle

Shouts of ‘Baby Queen!’ and loud cheers fill the venue as we await the encore and shortly after we are bathed in pink lighting. Snippets of her massively popular track ‘Want Me’ begin to play before the lights fade to black and we hear Latham ask ‘Birmingham, do you want me?’. The crowd erupts into a joyous buzz as the song begins, Latham laughing in surprise at how loud the lyrics are being recited back to her, gesturing for us to continue. The final song of the night was the beautifully existential ‘We Can Be Anything’. There was something empowering about being in a crowd yelling ‘We can be anything, that’s awesome don’t you think?’. Baby Queen’s band must be applauded for their flawless musicality and raw talent, they sit as the beating heart of a glitzy grunge-pop spectacle.

‘This has been one of my favourite shows ever’ she shares as she closes out the show, an immense feeling of unity and ecstasy washes through the venue. Latham has proved she is a master of her art, her hypnotic performance and glorious musicianship makes her one of the best in the UK anti-pop scene. Baby Queen is a rare talent and the Quarter Life Crisis Tour is a testament to her rising superstar status.

Enjoyed this? You might also enjoy:

Single Review: Baby Queen – Quarter Life Crisis

Live Review: Cate

Album Review: Olivia Rodrigo – GUTS