Music Writer Lucy Birch previews The Lightning Seeds’ upcoming 25th anniversary album tour of Jollification

A Scouser who knows her stuff

Whilst many look back at the 90’s Brit-Pop scene and think of Oasis, the Stone Roses and Pulp, The Lightning Seeds are one band that shouldn’t be discounted. Shockingly, The Lightning Seeds seem to be a band that people have either never heard of or only know ‘Lucky You’ and ‘The Life of Riley’, completely overlooking many other hits. However, your chance to experience what teenage life in the 90’s was like is here; the Lightning Seeds are touring to celebrate the 25th anniversary of their album ‘Jollification’, one of the most underrated albums of its decade. 

During the pinnacle of this album’s popularity, everyone fell in love with the easy-going and optimistic vibes it possessed

Each song on this album radiates 90s summer nostalgia through its chilled beats, catchy choruses and up-lifting lyrics. During the pinnacle of this album’s popularity, everyone fell in love with the easy-going and optimistic vibes it possessed every listener with. In the movie Clueless, we see Cher excelling and her teachers falling in love to the song ‘Changes’, the 4th track on this album, giving us a glance of how much ‘Jollification’ acted as a soundtrack to teenage life back then. Ian Broady, frontman and Liverpudlian poured his love for music into this album, and it shows; It’s hard to listen to any track and not feel a strong sensation of love for life, making this one of the best albums to cheer yourself up with.

This album’s title ‘Jollification’ meaning lively celebration with others, is the perfect description of what you should expect from seeing the Lightning Seeds live. The night will undoubtedly consist of never-ending hit after hit which is the least you can expect from a gig with such a pivotal and exciting set-list. This is only amplified by the fact that they will be performing at the o2 Institute, Birmingham, a perfectly sized arena that provides a close and personal feeling with all and any acts that perform there, making the experience even more special. 

90s culture hasn’t been this popular or intriguing since, well the 90’s, so take this opportunity to jump back a few decades, and enjoy the sweet music of the Lightning seeds on Friday 27th March 2020.

Tickets can be bought here