Music Editor Hannah Gadd reviews Ashton Irwin’s latest single, describing it as an exciting first release from his upcoming album

Drummer of 5 Seconds of Summer Ashton Irwin is back with another solo project and a great new single. ‘Straight To Your Heart’ marks the first release from his upcoming album Blood On The Drums and stands as a great re-introduction to Irwin’s solo work.

Irwin sounds vocally confident, this genre really complimenting his voice.

The song opens with a catchy riff played on a jangly guitar before a quick, powerful drum beat kicks in. Irwin sounds vocally confident, this genre really complimenting his voice. In a Q&A  Irwin shared his musical inspiration for the track stems from bands such Echo & The Bunnymen, The Smiths and Blue Oyster Cult, their influence definitely audible on the song. 

Lyrically, the track is one of yearning and accumulates as a bittersweet love song.

The chorus is an undeniable earworm with unrelenting drums and melodic vocals. Lyrically, the track is one of yearning and accumulates as a bittersweet love song. Swelling at the bridge, the track becomes huge with Irwin belting the lyrics ‘Spin me ’round the room/ Oh, how could I forget?/ You kill my loneliness/ If I’m not with you I’m better off dead’. 

‘Straight To Your Heart’ is a fantastic first release from Irwin’s upcoming project, showing sonic growth and confident stylistic choices. This single is a solid progression from Superbloom and I look forward to seeing what else Blood On The Drums has in store.

Enjoyed this? You might also enjoy:

Live Review: Echo & The Bunnymen

Single Review: Luke Hemmings- Shakes

Live Review: Dea Matrona