Deputy Editor Kat Smith breaks down the latest single from Lana Del Rey’s upcoming album ‘Norman Fucking Rockwell’

former deputy editor
Images by petercruise

Two years on from Lust for Life, Lana Del Rey is back. Accompanied with just a piano, Lana’s vocals are as raw and beautiful as her candid lyrics on her third single from her fifth studio album. With the single artwork simply depicting a black-and-white picture of her smiling, the song is certainly a unique window into Lana’s life.

The best word to describe the ‘Queen of Indie Pop’s latest release is bittersweet

The best word to describe the ‘Queen of Indie Pop’s latest release is bittersweet, with Lana singing: ‘They write that I’m happy, they know that I’m not / But at best you can see I’m not sad’. Though the single lacks the cinematic production heard in her previous albums, Lana retains her signature style through pop culture references such as ‘24/7 Sylvia Plath’, poetic lyrics and a versatile vocal performance that is nothing short of hypnotizing.

‘hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have – but I have it’ is reminiscent of her pre-Born To Die song ‘Pawn Shop Blues’. In accompaniment with the stripped-back ‘Mariners Apartment Complex’ and ‘Venice Bitch’, it promises Norman Fucking Rockwell to be the most authentic, vulnerable Elizabeth Grant we have experienced yet.

‘hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have – but I have it’ is available now via Universal Music.