Music Critic Simran Bains reviews Megan Thee Stallion’s fiery new single ‘HISS’

Written by Simran Bains

Trigger warnings for this review include: mention of court battle 

Megan Thee Stallion’s latest single, ‘HISS’, is a fiery clapback to the backlash she has received from fellow stars in the music industry, from artists Drake and Tory Lanez to rivalling rap queen, Nicki Minaj. A powerful start to rap music for the new year, there is no subtly as Megan pours her passion and anger into the track, creating a triumphant and electric rap tune for fans to relish in, all while speaking her truth. 

The fast-paced tempo of the song ensures Megan can effectively argue all of her points

The opening line is a statement from Megan, who unapologetically declares, ‘I’m finna get this sh*t off my chest and lay out the rest, let’s go’, her voice isolated from the music and echoing to resonate with listeners, before the beat finally drops and her signature heated rapping commences. The fast-paced tempo of the song ensures Megan can effectively argue all of her points, such as her most remarkable bar, ‘These h*es don’t be mad at Megan, these h*es mad at Megan’s Law’. This is a direct attack towards Minaj, executed through a clever play on words with her own name and the US legislation. Those familiar with the drama surrounding Minaj’s controversial husband, Kenny Petty, would develop a jaw dropping reaction to Megan’s ruthless yet unapologetic lyrics, applauding her for her brutal candour. 

HISS’ becomes an outlet for the rapper to express her anger

‘HISS’ therefore symbolises the ‘Hot Girl’ shedding her skin and growing from her sadness, as in her 2023 release, ‘Cobra’, we experience a more personal, sorrowful tone from the rapper, who opens up about her depression, following a notoriously lengthy court battle with her ex-boyfriend, Tory Lanez. Therefore, it is safe to say that Megan has been put through the ringer throughout her career, but ‘HISS’ becomes an outlet for the rapper to express her anger while assuring her fans, through a stimulating and likeable beat.

Enjoyed this? You might also like:

A Beginner’s Guide to Grimes

Live Review: Model/Actriz

Single Review: Ariana Grande – yes, and?