Music Critic David Cohen reviews the latest single from The Loose Fits, finding that it is effortlessly charming and addictive with every beat

Written by davidcohen

2022 is barely a month old, yet the cleanest and most infectious track may have just been released in the third track from the bright Brighton band The Loose Fits. 

‘La Seule Verite’ is the trios latest step in their increasingly impressive discography and continues to grow their name into one of the most impressive bands of the student generation. The track rests on a continuous riff by Herman that is simple enough and equally brilliant to support the passionate vocals Lawson sings. The song matures in intensity from the starting lyrics as what goes from a soft ‘just waiting around, your hands on your hips and I twiddle my thumbs’ climbs the chords Copitch constructs into bursting vocals and a beat you won’t be able to forget for a week. 

What is most striking about The Loose Fits latest success is the precision sewn between each note

The song is brooding and smoky, cool and crisp, and feels like a journey through the history of modern rock. What is most striking about The Loose Fits latest success is the precision sewn between each note. The song does not begin at one hundred miles an hour, nor is there an explosion of noise to confuse and capture the audience. ‘La Seule Verite’ climbs chord progressions and confident production to let the listener relax and involve themselves in the world they’re listening to, but it never leaves them. 

The production value too deserves a mention. So often in young bands there is heart and passion, but the stringy lyrics or fuzzy strikes of the snare make it feel amateur and remind the listener that these are just bedroom hobbyists. The Loose Fits, however, do not suffer from this. Clear editing seamlessly overlays the voices and instruments to create a song that is sharp and harmonises at every bar and note. At no point do you feel jarred by the experience, in fact, you will find yourself repeating it over and over again just to bounce your knee to the smart structure of the song as it moves towards the climax. 

A song that is sharp and harmonises at every bar and note

There is no doubt that The Loose Fits will evolve into a force of music that will not slow down. ‘La Seule Verite’ feels like donning a leather jacket and walking along rainy 1950s Parisian avenues, and in just under three minuets the band manages to take you completely. Effortlessly charming and addictive with every beat, ‘La Seule Verite’ is a song you will remiss not to listen to, and The Loose Fits prove once again that they are a band to watch and remember. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Redbrick Meets: HYYTS

Live Review: Creeper

Album Review: Little Mix – Between Us