Food & Drink Writer Zenna Hussain compiles a ranking of the worst to best Halloween supermarket offerings right now based on choice, affordability and originality

Written by Zenna Hussain
Images by Petr Kratochvil

10. Waitrose

Ranked lowest on my list, Waitrose’s prim and proper attitude unsurprisingly does not reflect well on its Halloween treats. There is no devoted Halloween section, so everything is amongst the standard sweet section – where there is a lack of Waitrose own Halloween treats altogether.

Honourable Mention: Original Biscuit Bakers Iced Halloween Ghost 50g | Waitrose & Partners 

Admittedly, their ghost biscuit is adorable, but the scariest thing about Waitrose’s Halloween offerings are the prices.  Pretty much everything at Waitrose is available in other shops, except it is cheaper elsewhere.

Ranking: 2/10

9. Iceland

Like Waitrose, Iceland’s Halloween section is generic, bland and overpriced, despite the saccharine name of ‘Scarily Sweet’ treats.

Honourable Mention: Iceland Scarily Sweet Belgian Chocolate Smashing Gold Skull 595g | Desserts | Iceland Foods

Iceland’s skull regains at least one of the points lost by the fact that there are only 20 items on the Halloween page and only 10 are explicitly Halloween related. The recipes are surprisingly good in my opinion, but to be entirely honest, the fact that you have to construct them yourself (and exert effort) does not seem to be in the spirit of Halloween.

Ranking: It does rank a bit higher with a 3/10, but it still falls short of expectations.

8. Poundland

Poundland, while being much cheaper than the previously mentioned supermarkets, does fall prey to the same problem. They offer common snacks which you could buy in other shops, which also boast original creations in addition to the expected items.

Honourable Mention: Mega Gummy Spider & Snake 100g (poundland.co.uk)

This ‘Mega Gummy Spider & Snake’ is a perfect fit for the inner child within us that always seem to emerge at Halloween. The sweets themselves however are probably better for trick or treaters than for enjoying yourself.

Ranking: Poundland then gains a 4/10 for better prices, if not better stock.

7. Sainsbury’s

Sainsbury’s has a variety of Mr Kipling’s, Oreos and more, as well as their own spooky treats and affordable prices.

Honourable Mention: Sainsbury’s Vegan Decorated Chocolate Cupcakes x2 114g | Sainsbury’s (sainsburys.co.uk)

Sainsbury’s is a bit forgettable, but has more of a varied content than those earlier in the list.

Ranking: For it’s wider range of choice, 5.5/10 

6. Asda

Asda’s Halloween pages for food are blended with non-Halloween items, and there’s not a huge variety of choice. However, what they lack in quantity, they make it in quality, with the most adorable ghost crumpets and original ideas.

Honourable Mention: ASDA Ogle The Cyclo-Pillar Cake – ASDA Groceries

Colin the Caterpillar evil’s cousin Ogle is both creepy and comforting in its familiarity and earns Asda a marginally higher score.

Ranking: 6/10

5. Aldi

Aldi’s website makes it a bit harder to be able to shop solely for Halloween, since there is no dedicated Halloween page. However, the affordability of the products and general sweetness almost makes up for it.

Honourable Mention: Pumpkin and Frankenstein Chocolate Mug Melt 

The treats are quite generic but very affordable, perfect for those who are on a budget.

Rating: Aldi wins a score of 6/10

4. Tesco

Tesco’s Halloween section is – as it should be – focused almost entirely within the bakery, with Tesco’s own cakes and biscuits featuring in the selection.

Honourable Mention: Tesco Decorate Your Own Haunted Graveyard Biscuit Kit 415G – Tesco Groceries

The originality of the decorate your own graveyard increased the rating up a point or two, but Tesco has both original and adorable own goods and well-priced branded treats.

3. Morrisons

Great for current students, their cute and quirky Halloween treats makes it one of the top three shops for Halloween treats. Just like Asda, Morrison’s selection feature ghost crumpets for a very affordable price.

Honourable Mention: Spooky Halloween Treats – Morrisons Blog.

Namely the ‘Dirt ‘n’ Worms’ pizza – a sweet pizza topped with chocolate cookie and curls and strawberry worms. Their treats are sweet, and scary.

Ranking: 8/10

2. Lidl

Lidl’s anticipation for Halloween is clear in the specific page intended just for the holiday, with treats from just 49p, making them cheap, cute and creepy.

Honourable Mention: Halloween Pasta Tricolore – at Lidl UK – www.lidl.co.uk

While Lidl undoubtedly has some adorable treats, the Halloween themed pasta is original and affordable at only £1, allowing a great place in the list.

Ranking: 8.5/10

1. Marks and Spencer

M&S’s Halloween spread was surprisingly my absolute favourite. They do not have just one dedicated Halloween page but several, each oozing with originality and sweetness. In one Halloween gift hamper, M&S has more variety and innovation than some shops have altogether.

Honourable Mention: Halloween Spooky Festival Gift Bag (Delivery from 27th October 2021) | Colin the Caterpillar™ | M&S (marksandspencer.com)

M&S gains my top spot! It could be cheaper but, in my opinion, Spooky Colin the Caterpillar deserves this place.

Ranking: 9.5/10

Want to check out some less ghoulish guides? Have a look at these:

Cafe Crawl Guide

A Guide for Freshers: Being Gluten-Free at UoB

Freshers’ Grocery Guide