Digital Editor Halima Ahad provides a round-up of the 2024 Brit Awards

third year eng & creative writing, aspiring journalist, former culture editor and current digital editor <3

The annual BRIT Awards are always an exciting, momentous occasion for British listeners. Musicians and bands alike come from across the globe to provide entertainment for viewers across the UK. Hosted by Maya Jama, Roman Kemp and Clara Amfo, the star-studded night, full of performances and wins, was not to be missed as it raked in 3 million viewers.

The artists really put their all into these performances and this is evident

Performances

One thing I love about the BRITs is the versatility and range between each performance throughout the show. Performers throughout the show included; RAYE, Chase & Status with Becky Hill and Jungle. The artists really put their all into these performances and this is evident. RAYE’s medley of her songs ‘Ice Cream Man’, ‘Prada’ and ‘Escapism’ was really powerful as the singer started with an emotional beginning whilst playing the piano, gradually transitioning into more upbeat tones.

Awards

There were many winners during The BRIT Awards but RAYE ultimately stole the show

Album of the Year and Artist of the Year

There were many winners during The BRIT Awards but RAYE ultimately stole the show, winning 6 BRITs across a range of categories including; Album of the Year with My 21st Century Blues and Artist of the Year. It was really beautiful to see the singer’s happiness as she won each award that night, as two years ago she was described as ‘down and out’ from the music industry and fought to be an independent artist from 2022 onwards. Her journey is inspirational for many young girls because although she came from tough beginnings, she fought and put in hard work for the dreams she desired.

International Artist of the Year

One category winner who surprised me was SZA, who won International Artist of the Year. The singer is famed for many songs including; Kill Bill and Shirt. However, her win took me by surprise as she was up against many bigger names, such as Taylor Swift, Lana Del Rey and Olivia Rodrigo. I have to admit, I was vouching for Rodrigo to take the win as she has shot to fame in such a short period of time as well as at such a young age. Nonetheless, I’m pleased with the win as SZA deserves it.

I absolutely adore the song as it explores self-love after parting ways

International Song of the Year

Another win which was a pleasant surprise was Miley Cyrus taking the BRIT for International Song of the Year with her song ‘Flowers’. I absolutely adore the song as it explores self-love after parting ways and how you can truly buy yourself flowers at the end of the day. Cyrus was also up against big names, such as Billie Eilish with ‘What Was I Made For’ , so seeing her take the win along these names really made me happy as her music comeback has been nothing but iconic.

Pop Act

Another win which made me happy was Dua Lipa taking the win for Pop Act. Lipa has come back to the music scene with her confident new single ‘Houdini’ and album Training Season. After her hiatus, it was very exciting to hear what Lipa had been experimenting with recently and this win has definitely made me excited to listen to her new album soon.

Overall, the night was a huge success. I enjoyed every minute of The BRITs as talent was showcased across the board. I hope the winners do justice to their awards as the music scene and listeners will be waiting in anticipation for the next show.

Enjoyed this? You might also enjoy…

Live Review: Reneé Rapp

Single Review: Luke Hemmings- Shakes

Redbrick Meets: Buice